Doyle set to present budget

As Gov. Jim Doyle prepares to deliver his final 2005-06 biennial state budget address tonight before a joint session of the Wisconsin legislature, state legislators are already discussing several of his proposals.

For the first time in over a decade, the University of Wisconsin System will receive more money than the corrections budget, according to Doyle spokesperson Melanie Fonder.

“[This] funding to UW and financial aid … demonstrates commitment [by the governor],” Fonder said.

Although Doyle originally planned to announce the university funding in his State of the State Address in January, he ultimately cut the line from his final speech.

Another of the governor’s proposals would cut about 1,800 state jobs in the next two years. Fonder said this proposal would not affect state services.

Doyle also released plans Friday for a $10 million grant and loan program aimed to increase the use of medical record systems.

“I am committed to ensuring that all Wisconsin citizens receive quality health care,” Doyle said in a statement at Dean Health System in Madison.

Sen. Judy Robson, D-Beloit, approved the governor’s initiative to reduce medical errors, according to spokesperson Kelley Flury.

“[The plan] is good on a number of fronts, including the money it will save in health care costs,” Flury said. “Because [these] costs are so high and continue to go up beyond our ability to pay, it’s important to find innovative ways to keep costs down.”

Doyle also announced Monday that his budget plans will ask legislators for more than $13 million to improve Wisconsin’s harbors to encourage economic growth.

Democratic legislators are generally optimistic of Doyle’s plans for Wisconsin, although many admit changes must be made to reduce the $1.6 billion state deficit.

“I remain positive even though we have a big [budget] deficit again,” Sen. Hansen, D-Green Bay, said. “[Doyle] wants to fix it without raising taxes, and I think he will do it.”

Rep. Louis J. Molepske, Jr., D-Stevens Point, said she hopes Doyle will address education in today’s speech.

“I’m hopeful the governor will address some of the recent cuts that were absorbed in the system and will look at increasing … tax credit or financial aid,” Molepske said. “I’m optimistic that the governor will … make the needed budget changes and appropriations.”

Doyle also plans to propose $500,000 in the next two years for domestic partner benefits for all UW employees, according to the Capital Times. Doyle’s proposal will include both unmarried heterosexual partners and same-sex couples. UW is currently the only Big Ten university that does not offer such benefits.

Many Republicans, who are currently supporting a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage in the state, are in strong opposition to Doyle’s proposal.

“Sadly, Governor Doyle isn’t listening to the people of Wisconsin,” Assembly Speaker John Gard said in a release. “By giving domestic benefits to all state employees instead of protecting property-tax payers shows that the governor’s priorities are out of whack.”

Republican legislators are also concerned about the possibility of Doyle raising taxes, regardless of his insistence he will not.

Assembly Majority Leader Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem, said in a release he is concerned Doyle is preparing for a property-tax hike.

“I was hoping the governor would have learned from his mistakes in the last budget,” Huebsch said. “By twice vetoing the property-tax freeze, he ushered in a hefty tax hike for homeowners in Wisconsin.”

Republican Party for Wisconsin spokesperson Chris Lato expressed his dissatisfaction with Doyle, stating the governor is “out of step” because he vetoed the property-tax freeze.

“The Republican party and Republican legislators stand united in the effort to provide property-tax relief in Wisconsin, whether it is through a [tax] freeze or a reasonable constitutional amendment,” Lato said.

Doyle will announce his budget to state legislators tonight at 7 p.m. in the Assembly Chambers of the Capital. The Joint Finance Committee will be the first to review and make changes to Doyle’s budget proposal.