Michael J. Fox tours UW research labs

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]michaeljfox_dm_416[/media-credit]Former actor Michael J. Fox, who suffers from Parkinson’s Disease, toured the University of Wisconsin Waisman Center Tuesday afternoon with Gov. Jim Doyle to view the building’s science facilities in an effort to advocate scientific research dedicated to the condition.

Tuesday’s visit to UW was one of Fox’s many public appearances since the creation of the Michael J. Fox Foundation in 2000.

“Our goal is to find the best researchers, doing the best research and to … fund them as quickly as we can and let them do their work,” Fox said to a crowded conference room.

It is our hope that we can do that as quickly as possible, Fox added.

Fox was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease in 1991 but did not reveal his young-onset disease to the public until 1998. Shortly after announcing his retirement from ABC’s Spin City, Fox established the Michael J. Fox Foundation in an effort to guarantee a cure for Parkinson’s in the next decade, according to the foundation’s website.

UW Chancellor John Wiley also attended the event and expressed his thanks to Fox for his generous donations to UW researchers. This is the fourth grant given to UW by the Michael J. Fox Foundation.

Fox said the Waisman Center is an “amazing facility” and an “amazing institution” where a number of great scientists focus on groundbreaking research.

Fox referred in particular to Dr. James Thompson, the UW researcher who first achieved the feat of culturing embryonic stem cells in 1998, and UW scientist Su-Chun Zhang, who recently achieved the difficult task of coaxing stem cells into motor neurons. Both Thompson and Zhang attended the event Tuesday afternoon after they toured the facilities with Fox.

“In Wisconsin, we have been at the forefront for the research that may one day bring cures for Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s and many other [diseases] that were long thought to be incurable,” Doyle said at the event.

Doyle proposed $750 million public and private investment for biotechnology and stem-cell research for UW. Included in his proposal is $375 million to build the Institute for Discovery, which will further interdisciplinary scientific research on the UW campus.

Doyle promotes stem-cell research not only for the benefit of Wisconsin, but also because of personal reasons.

“This is an issue close to my heart, as my mother suffers from Parkinson’s,” Doyle said. “We are thankful everyday for the work that Michael J. Fox and his foundation has been doing to find a cure and to help those who [are] afflicted with Parkinson’s.”

When questioned about the controversy of stem-cell research, Fox said he respects people’s ethical concerns but believes they are the minority.

“We should have faith in our scientists — this research is a benefit to all,” Fox said.

Doyle said he would make a “swift veto” for any anti-stem-cell legislation that passes by him.

“Wisconsin really is in a remarkable position right now,” he said. “Through the work of our great scientists, we have been the leader in stem-cell research, and now as the rest of the world understands how important this is, it is very important that Wisconsin remain a leader.”