Assembly speaker will not target bid

Since Assembly Speaker John Gard, R-Peshtigo, was elected to the State Assembly in 2003, many speculated he would run for governor, but their suspicions were negated Wednesday when he announced he will not run for the state’s top office in 2006.

Gard said in a statement that he “thought long and hard” with his family and ultimately decided “now is not the time.” Another reason he cited for his reluctance to run is the important agenda ahead of him as Assembly Speaker.

“We have an ambitious agenda in the Assembly that he is committed to getting done … [Gard] wants to keep focusing on delivering an agenda,” Gard spokesperson Steve Baas said.

U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Green Bay, and Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker are two other potential Republican candidates who hope to succeed current Gov. Jim Doyle. Walker is the only Republican who has officially announced intentions to run in the primaries.

Green acknowledged Gard’s tough decision and praised his work in public service, adding that Gard would have been an impressive candidate for governor.

“As speaker, he has courageously led the fight for the ideals we in Wisconsin share: limited government, lower taxes, defense of families and a staunch protection of human life,” Green said in a statement.

Walker, who recently visited the University of Wisconsin campus to speak, issued a short statement regarding Gard’s decision. Walker said he will not focus on the day-to-day activities of a possible primary candidate because his campaign is focused on beating Doyle.

Republican Party of Wisconsin spokesperson Chris Lato said the party supports Gard in any decision he chooses to make and is still confident a Republican will be elected as governor in 2006.

“We’re certainly not going to have any shortage of highly qualified candidates to run for governor in 2006,” Lato said. “We have two excellent candidates who will give Doyle a run for his money.”

Lato said Gard is one of the “rising stars” in the Republican Party and everyone cannot wait to see where his career will go next.

Reforming the welfare program, helping restructure the tax code and implementing a successful school-choice program are some of Gard’s “very special successes” in Wisconsin over the past two years, according to Gard’s statement. Gard said he is optimistic of his continued approach to limited government for the state of Wisconsin and hopes good things will continue to happen for the state.

For now, Gard said he is excited to continue his work with the Assembly and fully dedicate himself to passing the Republican agenda.

“I am excited to continue my work with a tremendous group of Wisconsin legislators to make Wisconsin a better place to live, work and retire,” he said.

Baas said it is possible Gard would consider running for governor at a later date.

“He’s a young man … he has plenty of time to consider other options,” Baas said. “Right now, we’re focused on the present.”