Fewer international students enroll at American colleges

The University of Wisconsin may find the enrollment of international students at the undergraduate, graduate and professional levels significantly decreasing in the near future.

According to Pap Sarr, director of the International Student Services Office, there has been a 3.4 percent drop in foreign graduate students at UW this year.

Sarr added international students at UW make up approximately 10 percent of the total student population.

According to the 2003-04 University of Wisconsin Data Digest, 958 foreign undergraduate students studied on campus in 2003, compared to 1,090 in 1999. The enrollment of foreign students between 2000 and 2002 also dipped below 1,000 students.

“We’re looking into ways to attain international students because, in general, there has been a drop of international students. It’s not just UW. It’s a national trend,” Sarr said.

Foreign students applying to American graduate schools has declined 28 percent this year, while the actual foreign-graduate-student enrollment numbers have dropped 6 percent, according to The New York Times.

“Measures from SEVIS and Homeland Security have made it more difficult and challenging for international students to study here,” Lori Berquam, associate dean of students, said.

The Student Exchange and Visitor Information System, which began in January 2003, requires people coming into the United States to supply a sizable amount of personal information. It also monitors the classes students take, changes in majors and expected graduation dates.

Sarr said the slight drop is caused by a combination of Homeland Security measures, SEVIS and increasing competition between worldwide universities.

The majority of international students at UW hail from India and China, where both countries have been working to keep graduate students in their home countries. Increasing competition from the United Kingdom and Australia has also affected the enrollment of students at UW and nationwide, according to Sarr.

“These countries are offering attractive packets to study there, and there are also [fewer] restrictions for getting a visa,” Sarr said.

UW, on the other hand, does not offer attractive packets, nor does the university recruit foreign students.

The Wisconsin Alumni Association has worked with international alumni to set up “sub recruiting stations” in multiple countries. According to Berquam, alumni use these stations to speak about their experiences at UW, but it is voluntary.

“This is virtually how we get our international students, through alumni in their countries speaking about our community here,” Berquam said. “[I]t’s great, and it’s one of those things that shows you the reputation that UW [has].”

Sarr added there has been discussion to create initiatives to attract foreign students since enrollment numbers have decreased.

Megan Jensen, co-chair of the Associated Students of Madison Student Diversity Committee, said international students at UW positively affect demographics on campus.

“In general, it can only be helpful for us to have as many international students on a campus that is so overwhelmingly comprised [of] white students from the U.S.,” Jensen said. “No matter the (size of the) decrease [in international-student numbers], it’s still going to negatively [affect] our student population.”

Berquam noted the impact on classroom culture from foreign students is a great experience to have at a public university.

“The impact of international students on [the campus] could encourage other students to work in a Fortune 500 Company with folks from other countries. We think that’s beneficial,” she said.

Berquam added foreign students are vital for providing the university contact and culture experience in the classroom. The tuition fees international students pay also help cover university cover costs.

“It’s a significant increase in tuition for students from other countries to come here … but we don’t want to be driven by the almighty dollar,” Berquam added.