UW welcomes transfers

University of Wisconsin System officials are working to improve transfer students’ transition onto the Madison campus after receiving an extensive review detailing areas of challenge these students experience.

The Committee on the Transfer Student Experience, led by Vice Chancellor Virginia Sapiro, has outlined 12 major steps directed at reducing the difficulties incoming students face and provides students with the necessary tools for a successful transition.

Proposed changes have been sent out to schools within the system along with academic advisors. Officials are currently making the necessary changes to help transfer students in relation to their field, Sapiro said.

UW sophomore Stacy Harnett, who transferred to UW this year, said she was pleased UW was making changes to the current system because transfer students often come into the university having diverse college experiences.

“Events are important to have so students can meet people and gain knowledge about the campus to get everyone on the same page,” Harnett said.

According to the CTSE final report, transfer students often face many more academic challenges than students who begin their college education at UW.

Transfer students often come into UW expecting to know how everything operates because they already have experience in college, Sapiro said. They still need advice and guidance on the resources UW offers in order to plan out courses and make successful adjustments to college life, however.

“Students tend to think UW will be similar to their last school and are often surprised by how academically intense it is,” Sapiro said.

About 80 percent of UW students have transfer credits at the time of graduation and more than 20 percent of current undergraduates started college somewhere other than UW, according to the final report of the CTSE.

UW sophomore Brian Diebling, a transfer from the University of St. Thomas, said he was mostly satisfied with the efforts UW provided to help him make a smooth shift into the UW System.

“I found it pretty easy to make the transition to UW,” Diebling said. “I thought Student Orientation And Registration really helped me because it explained what classes I need to take in order to meet requirements for my intended major.”

The CTSE looked at problems for transfer students in academic advising, student life and the actual transfer process as a whole.

The adjustments CTSE recommended include building better communication with transfer students on issues related directly to them, developing an orientation program for transfer students early in the semester that would encourage students’ involvement in campus activities, actively recruiting transfer students to welcoming programs for all new students, and providing on-campus housing for transfer students.

Sapiro hopes with the changes UW is making transfer students will have a chance to get more involved on campus and become more aware of the resources offered to them.

Sapiro added that because all colleges are different, it is important transfer students get the extra attention they need in order to learn how they can do their best.