Committee approves lock proposal

[media-credit name=’Derek Montgomery’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]housingcommittee_dm_400[/media-credit]After citywide debate, the Housing Committee voted unanimously Wednesday night to pass a proposal that would require landlords to install exterior locks.

The City Council will debate the ordinance, which has gone through the committee twice, in December.

If passed by the council, the ordinance would allow 180 days for landlords to install guarded latches on doors and self-closing devices on doors of multi-unit apartment buildings. The ordinance would also require locks on all common room doors and the installation of doorbells, intercoms or effective buzzer systems.

The committee passed the proposal after holding a short discussion and hearing public input on exterior locks.

“I’m personally embarrassed we’ve allowed this loophole in our ordinances,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said to the committee.

Verveer said he was disappointed because the ordinance did not emerge until several sexual assaults took place in Madison last summer.

Verveer added three changes were made to the proposal since last month’s meeting, including the removal.

Verveer said the time allocated to landlords to adhere to regulations, which originally was 60 days, was extended to 180 days. Verveer added the change was made after speaking with locksmith companies who said 60 days would not allow sufficient time for installation of the locks.

The proposal had been sent back to the Landlord and Tenant Issues Subcommittee, leading some of the Housing Committee members and members of the public to stress the importance of making a decision during Wednesday’s meeting to avoid further delay.

Before the Housing Committee voted, several Madison groups voiced support for the proposal. Verveer read a memo to committee members on behalf of Police Chief Noble Wray, which stated his official support of the exterior-locks proposal.

Nancy Jensen, executive director of the Apartment Association, spoke to the committee about her organization’s efforts to distribute free information to landlords about cost-effective ideas for installing locks.

“We think it is a very good ordinance and we have supported it right from the start,” Jensen said, adding the ordinance would benefit landlords because “it reduces liabilities and increases tenant safety.”

Ald. Judy Olson, District 6, also spoke before the committee, encouraging members to pass the proposal.

Olson, who has headed the proposed ordinance with Verveer since last summer, said she was pleased with the Housing Committee’s actions and said she felt it was necessary for “quick action” because of the importance of the issue.

If the council passes the ordinance it will go into effect next June, according to Jensen.