Student Affairs chief stepping down

The University of Wisconsin administration will undergo significant changes after the Wednesday announcement Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Paul Barrows is to step down effective immediately.

Barrows led the Office of Student Affairs, which oversaw departments including Undergraduate Admissions, Student Financial Services, Dean of Students, Registrar and several diversity initiative programs.

Barrows will take a personal leave for an indeterminate amount of time, followed by a “feasibility study” he will conduct in Milwaukee for the considered expansion of the Precollege Enrichment Opportunity Program for Learning Experience (PEOPLE) program, according to a release.

“Over the last several months, I have been trying to address some changing family circumstances, and I need to put my focus in that area at this time,” Barrows said in the release.

Barrows’ most notable accomplishments as vice chancellor was his role in forming programs on the Madison campus that were elements of Plan 2008, including the PEOPLE program. PEOPLE is designed to build a pipeline between UW and disadvantaged or minority students of public middle and high schools.

“[Barrows] has made enormous contributions … he was instrumental in the PEOPLE program and had a strong role in Posse [program],” UW Chancellor John Wiley said in a phone interview. “[He was] an invaluable administrator, aid and leader on campus.”

Wiley said Barrows’ role is too central to stay vacant for an extended period of time, so student affairs departments will be restructured.

“I don’t want any of those programs to lose momentum — [many are] very high-profile programs,” he said.

Wiley added that in order to provide the best leadership, programs will report to people who are already in place and are experienced and familiar with them.

“I may decide to leave it that way — it is an open question,” he said. “We want to make sure they are running smoothly.”

Many who worked with Barrows are sad to see him go and interested in the new direction of student affairs at UW.

Dean of Students Luoluo Hong said many staff members that are affected are understandably anxious, but she is confident university leaders will ensure there is no lapse in quality in programs for students.

“I have some sadness that the division of student affairs no longer exists, but I am excited for opportunities that might present themselves now,” Hong said.

Student affairs researcher Steve Kosciuk is sorry to see Barrows go.

“He was a great boss — a great guy to work for,” Kosciuk said, adding when he first arrived at the department, he was surprised to see the large amount of responsibility Barrows had.

After Barrows takes his leave, he will look at the possibility of setting up a PEOPLE office in Milwaukee, which would allow UW officials to begin recruiting students at a younger age than is currently possible, according to Wiley.

“I need someone to make a report and answer some questions,” Wiley said of Barrows.