Baldwin victorious with 64 percent of vote

[media-credit name=’Ben Smidt’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Baldwin_BS_400[/media-credit]Democratic incumbent Tammy Baldwin won a sweeping victory Tuesday over Republican opponent Dave Magnum, securing a fourth two-year term as Wisconsin’s U.S. representative for the 2nd Congressional District.

Scoring a substantial win, Baldwin garnered 64 percent of the district’s votes to Magnum’s 36 percent, as of press time.

“What a night. What a day. What an election!” Baldwin said to a crowd of nearly 500 Democrats during her victory speech at the Monona Terrace.

After battling accusations she accomplished very little for southwest Wisconsin residents during her tenure in office, Baldwin used the landslide victory as proof the district overwhelmingly approves of the job she is doing in Washington.

“There are some critics out there — I call them naysayers — who say I am out of touch with this district,” Baldwin said. “Well, the people have spoken.”

Magnum, who blasted Baldwin throughout the campaign for failing to advocate those issues that matter most to Wisconsinites, bowed out early in the night. After conceding the race, he wished Baldwin well during her next two years in office.

“Tonight is a night to congratulate Tammy on her victory,” Magnum said in a phone interview, adding he held no ill feelings toward Baldwin and remained convinced this year’s race “was a positive experience for both campaigns.”

He also said although Baldwin benefited throughout her re-election bid this fall from an incumbent advantage, the Democratic congresswoman’s victory on Election Day resulted from overwhelming voter support throughout the 2nd Congressional District.

“I’m not making any excuses [for my loss] at all,” he said. “Tammy won this race, and she won it decisively.”

Magnum, who owns eight radio stations across Wisconsin, depicted himself as a moderate Republican both in the general election and during the Republican primary, where he easily won against ultra-conservative challenger Ron Greer. Nevertheless, the radio entrepreneur repeatedly attacked Baldwin on several of her liberal politics, most notably the congresswoman’s goal of achieving universal health care.

Baldwin championed her position on health care Tuesday evening, saying the election results show Wisconsin citizens back her crusade for universal coverage.

“We share the dream of an America that provides fair, affordable health care for all,” she said.

During her speech, Baldwin demonstrated particular appreciation to the large outpouring of youth support for her candidacy. She specifically thanked campus political leader Jesse Walter for leading “the very special crew … called ‘Students for Tammy Baldwin.'”

The congresswoman also gave special thanks to the high voter turnout among young people this election cycle.

“To all the first-time voters … We thank you for believing in the power of your vote and in our collective voice,” Baldwin said, noting the high voting numbers across the state.

“Indeed, we’ve made history in the state of Wisconsin tonight,” she said. “We’ve turned apathy into action.”