SSFC election results pending

Nearly two weeks have passed since the Associated Students of Madison fall elections ended, but the results for the Students Services Finance Committee races have yet to be released.

Former Student Council Chair Austin Evans filed a suit following the election over irregularities, which stopped the Student Election Commission from releasing any results. The case was dismissed Oct. 19, but the decision was stayed for two weeks to give Evans a chance to file an appeal, according to the ruling.

According to Student Judiciary Justice Nick Fox, Evans filed an appeal Monday night, which may further delay the release of election results.

“[Student Judiciary] will decide if the appeal is timely,” Fox said. “The SSFC seats are still up in the air depending on what we do with the appeal.”

One of the candidates for an SSFC seat, Brad Vogel, said he was under the impression Evans filed the appeal after the deadline outlined in ASM bylaws, which is five school days after the ruling.

According to Vogel, the Judiciary voted to modify the ruling, changing the deadline for Evans to Monday night at 7:30.

“[Student Judiciary] admitted they made a mistake,” Vogel said, adding he has had difficulty getting a response from any ASM members and receiving information about the election.

“No one in ASM seems to be doing their job when it comes to this election,” he said. “We’re operating with multiple levels of incompetence and problems here.”

The other SSFC candidate is UW junior Jennie Johnson.

Fox said he was unsure when a decision will be made regarding Evans’ appeal.

SEC Chair Shelton Roulhac, Student Judiciary Chief Justice Nathaniel Romano and ASM Chair Emily McWilliams did not return phone calls by press time.

Fox said the results for the freshman class Student Council seats were preliminarily certified Monday night.

The freshman election results were also delayed because of pending Student Judiciary cases, but the cases were withdrawn Monday night, according to Fox.

Fox said the SEC must still act to finalize the results.

The preliminary results of the freshman election show Jon Kuether and Andrew Gordon as winners, according to the ASM website.