UW Homecoming sets political tone

The University of Wisconsin’s Homecoming 2004 extends from the typical yearly celebration to the realm of politics with a theme that reflects a presidential election year.

“Bucky for President” is encouraging students to “Register and get out to vote on Nov. 2!” according to a UW release.

The theme is designed to relate to all students on campus, according to Homecoming Committee co-chair Amy Duwell.

“We’re a politically driven community,” Duwell said. “So far we’ve had an amazing response from campus and the Madison community.”

All 60 members of the committee are deputized for voter registration, which will allow students to register at every event during the week, according to Duwell.

Between 600 and 1,000 students registered Friday during MTV’s Rock the Vote tour, which was Homecoming’s opening event, she added.

Voter guides created by the Associated Students of Madison are also available.

“[Voter guides] identify candidates and issues relevant to students,” Duwell said. “We are hoping everyone can make an educated decision when it comes down to voting on Nov. 2.”

In addition to Friday’s Rock the Vote, new events for this year include “Bucky’s Inauguration Celebration” dance, a multicultural dance and a forum discussing UW’s impact on the state of Wisconsin’s economy. Students will also receive a discount on tickets to the Badger Huddle Saturday before the football game.

Despite a theme some may consider unique, many students view this year as just another Homecoming celebration.

UW sophomore Matt Jaime said although he only attended the football game last year, he saw more energy on campus and while attending the game. However, Jaime said he thinks anything that makes more people vote is good.

UW senior Jason Levin, on the other hand, said he is excited for Homecoming. He added he is typically involved with his fraternity, particularly the parade.

“The atmosphere around Madison is upbeat — [the city] reaches an extra level for Homecoming,” Levin said.

Levin said he thinks the theme is clever because it will get students to vote.

“I think it’s good to get that kind of stuff out there, but personally [the political theme is not] anything that really got me more excited compared to past years,” Levin said, adding the football team’s successful season thus far adds more excitement than anything else.

Duwell said she thinks the biggest events of the week are a comedy show tonight at the Orpheum and Friday’s parade.

“The parade is always huge,” she said, adding that, with community members in addition to students, it is the event that usually draws the largest crowds.

Proceeds from all Homecoming events will go to charity, Duwell said, adding all committee members are volunteer workers.