Bush, Kerry spar over healthcare

This is the third in a series discussing the two presidential candidates’ stances on issues directly or indirectly affecting college students and university campuses.

As the 2004 election grows nearer, voters listen to increasingly prevalent talk about healthcare from President George W. Bush and Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry. To the elderly and the working families of America, as well as students readying themselves to enter the workforce, the issue of Medicare and rising health-insurance costs is a main area of concern.

Kerry and Bush have different ideas about the ways in which the institution of Medicare is heading. According to the Kerry campaign website, the junior senator from Massachusetts plans to provide care for the elderly, whether it is through lowering the cost of prescription drugs, through inspection and upkeep of care facilities or broadening the responsibilities of Medicaid.

“John Kerry actually has a plan to reduce health-care cost, whereas over the past four years, George Bush has done nothing to address the issues,” George Twigg, Kerry campaign spokesperson, said.

One might be able to get a better idea of how Bush will treat the Medicare issue by looking at what steps he has taken in the past four years. Bush signed into law last year a new Medicare bill lowering unnecessary spending embedded in the program and saving the elderly and other taxpayers $20 billion dollars in the next 10 years. On the other hand, Kerry’s plan differentiates itself by focusing on a Patient’s Bill of Rights.

“[The Patient’s Bill of Rights] allows doctors and patients to make medical decisions instead of HMOs,” Twigg said. This will allow the patients more freedom in who they can see and what clinics they can go to, which can cut down on medical bills, according to Twigg.

Sharon Castillo, a representative for the Bush campaign, does not believe Kerry’s plan will live up to what is expected of it, countering personal choice is still an issue.

“Senator Kerry’s health plan puts the control of people’s healthcare in the hands of the government and it gives them fewer options,” Castillo said.

With the rising cost of health insurance an additional concern for families across the country, President Bush is addressing the issue by planning to offer low-income families the ability to purchase a low-premium, high-deductible health plan and a Health Savings Account from which they can deduct their premiums.

“If it were up to Sen. Kerry, individuals and small businesses would not have the option of health savings accounts, which are tax-free savings account for their medical expenses,” Castillo said.

Kerry’s campaign insists these accounts will not fix the problem of rising costs.

“Average health-care costs have gone up to over $4,000 per person,” Twigg said. Twigg added Kerry proposes to cut family premiums by up to $1,000, allowing families to use the extra money for household necessities.

While it remains to be seen which of these plans has greater appeal to the American public, both candidates stress health care is clearly an important issue for the upcoming election and for the lives of many American citizens.