Diversity leaders gather in Madison

The annual American Multicultural Student Leadership Conference brought several hundred University of Wisconsin System student diversity leaders to UW-Madison over the weekend. The conference provided student leaders a chance to share their academic experiences with students from other UW System schools.

The conference is dedicated to students of diversity in Wisconsin, UW junior Laura Klunder said.

"[The forums provided] an environment of mutual respect and consideration," Klunder said.

Highlights of the conference included a rally and a march Friday, a dinner with speakers, and the presentation of "changemaker awards." These awards were presented Sunday morning to students who have worked on behalf of social justice, according to a UW release.

Klunder, who is on the executive staff for the Multicultural Student Coalition, facilitated a caucus discussion for Asian Americans during the breakout sessions.

"We talked about why we are proud to be a part of this community and what we need to do to help build the community," Klunder said. "It is really empowering to be able to be on the same page with other people."

UW Dean of Students Luoluo Hong, the opening keynote speaker for the conference, said it was an honor to support a conference that visits a different UW System school each year.

"I challenged students to look at where they can still improve," Hong said, adding although most of the students in attendance are already involved at their school, they must avoid becoming too complacent or comfortable in their efforts.

"[Students should] always keep reaching to higher goals," Hong said.

Klunder said she also attended Friday's rally.

"[The Rally] was just a beautiful experience," Klunder said. "People of all different colors were there trying to raise awareness of diversity. People joined in and cheered with us."

Hong said improving diversity on campus requires the full effort of students as well as administration, faculty and staff.

"Students can be helpful by holding administration accountable — by giving us a barometer [to measure]," Hong said, adding feedback is necessary to assess whether or not their efforts are making a difference. "Students are a valuable way for that feedback."

The office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs sponsored the conference. Members of MCSC and other student organizations helped run the event, according to the release.