Air America permeates Madison talk radio

Something new is riding radio airwaves in Madison and it is not the latest music craze. Clear Channel station 92.1, “the Mic,” hit Madison’s FM dial on Tuesday, Sept. 7, with Air America, the city’s self-titled first Progressive Talk Radio.

WMIC took the spot of former adult contemporary station “the Mix.” The new station now offers talk-radio programs complete with infamously liberal celebrity voices from the nationally syndicated network, Air America.

Tim Scott, operations manager at the station, said hosts talk about topics that appeal to the progressive movement, adding it has a large following in the traditionally liberal city of Madison.

“Air America is a format that was the right fit for Madison,” Scott said. “It’s a very open-minded community.”

Some of the featured hosts include “The Daily Show” creator Lizz Winstead, Public Enemy’s Chuck D and Rachel Maddow.

Midday talk includes “The Al Franken Show,” with “Saturday Night Live” alum Al Franken and co-host Katherine Lanpher, who provide commentary on public issues, as well as humor and interviews. Stu Levitan hosts “We the People,” which includes issues that affect Madison locally.

Talk radio stations stand on issues that may affect the type of listeners they attract, and the Mic made it clear from the start that it is not shy about its politics, according to Scott.

He said there has been a lot of conservative talk radio available, so the Mic is out there to give people a different perspective.

“It’s kind of creating its own niche,” Scott said.

The station touches on current issues like the election, as well as a variety of progressive and what are often thought of as liberal ideas for its target audience of adults aged 25 to 54.

However, the intended age range doesn’t exclude students, Scott cautioned.

“Traditionally, [the University of Wisconsin] has been known as a liberal and open-minded campus,” Scott said.

Liz Sanger, a junior at UW and chair of College Democrats, said she’s surprised Air America did not come to Madison sooner.

“It’s really exciting that they’ve chosen to open their airwaves up to us,” Sanger said.

Sanger said it would be helpful for students to hear issues debated on talk radio so they can be more informed come election time.

“It will do a lot to get people who listen out to the polls,” Sanger said.

The effect a progressive talk radio station will have on students is yet to be seen.

UW freshman James Quigley said a lot of people listen to talk radio, but most people already know their stance on issues, making them harder to convince.

Quigley, who said he sides conservative on most issues, agreed the station would work with Madison as a setting.

“It gives liberals something they want to hear,” Quigley said.

Scott said one of the station’s goals is to create more opportunities for the local progressive opinion to get its voice out.

“We’re breaking new ground here,” Scott said. “We want to grow and expand, whether it be nationally or locally.”

Quigley added that whether or not he agrees with the opinions on-air, he would listen for the sake of hearing what exactly they have to say.

Sanger said she would keep her radio on more often now.

“It’ll be less taxing on my blood pressure than conservative radio,” Sanger said.