Vogel resigns, withdraws charges

A former vice chief justice of the Student Judiciary simultaneously withdrew a suit against members of the Associated Students of Madison and submitted his resignation in an e-mail sent late Thursday.

Brad Vogel recently filed charges against Chief Justice Nathaniel Romano and Nominations Board Chair Adam Schlicht for his removal from the student judiciary.

In a phone interview last week, Schlicht said Vogel was only appointed for a two-year term, which has expired according to the ASM constitution.

Schlicht added that Vogel was appointed to fill the remainder of the 9th session term that he started midway.

Vogel contends his removal was largely political and his appointment was not to fill a vacant spot, but to serve a full term, he said in a phone interview last week.

“I could do many things to try to secure my rights, but every option eventually leads straight back to the [Student Judiciary] itself,” Vogel said in the e-mail. The court has unchecked power that cannot be made to act justly, he added.

Vogel said “sketchy behavior” and “illogical thinking” made him doubt how worthwhile “fighting for a spot” is.

Schlicht said he has known Vogel both personally and professionally for the two years he served on ASM. Vogel was an exceptional justice and was encouraged to reapply for his ASM position, Schlicht added.

However, the ASM constitution is guiding law and it states that positions are held for two-year terms, according to Schlicht.

Vogel said in the e-mail he hopes the next justices appointed are “sound candidates.”

“ASM has a nasty habit of ostracizing anyone who does not go along with its agenda,” Vogel said. “They delight in the apathy that typifies most students — it sustains their grip on power.”

In the e-mail, Vogel said he could not win the suit because the defendant — Romano — is also the judge handling both cases.

Vogel’s stated his resignation as effective today at 7:45 p.m.

Romano said he “can’t comment on internal personnel matters,” and “his [e-mail resignation] speaks for itself.”

Vogel could not be reached for further comment at press time.