Badgers welcome UCF fans

University of Wisconsin sophomore Andy Porubcan was pleased with the changes to Camp Randall stadium when he attended Saturday’s football game, where the Badgers took on the University of Central Florida.

But to his dismay, an important aspect of the game day atmosphere was missing.

The UW marching band did not play the song “Swingtown,” a long-time tradition at UW sporting events.

“I was pretty disappointed,” Porubcan said. “The song is a fan favorite. Last year they played [Swingtown] at all of the games.”

Porubcan had the impression the song wasn’t played because of swearing chants students typically add.

“We swear during other cheers, anyway,” Porubcan shrugged.

When the band plays “Swingtown,” originally a Steve Miller Band song, students typically sing a lengthy “O,” followed by chants of, “sucks,” “f-ck you” and “eat sh-t.”

UW marching band director Mike Leckrone, who alone decides which songs are played by the band during sporting events, said he simply didn’t think of playing “Swingtown” during Saturday’s game.

“I play off the game,” Leckrone said, adding that he chooses what songs the band will play based on “when we need to generate more intensity.”

“The [fans] didn’t need an extra push towards the end [of the game],” he said.

Leckrone said although the band has been playing the song for more than 10 years, the student chants have only developed in the past couple.

“I like to play the song for the sake of the song and to create a positive atmosphere of support, not for the sake of the swearing,” Leckrone said, adding that he sometimes gets angry phone calls following the games.

Porubcan expects to hear the song at every game, regardless of how loud the crowd is during the game.

“I don’t think [anyone] can gauge if the crowd is loud enough to play a song,” Porubcan said.

Also new to UW football game days, aside from the massive scoreboard and additional seats, are green-shirted “fan ambassadors” and scoreboard public service announcements created by the “Rolling out the Red Carpet” initiative to help create a more friendly fan atmosphere.

UW sophomore Greylen Erlacher volunteered Saturday as a “fan ambassador” with the Wisconsin Alumni Student Board.

“I think [Red Carpet] was very successful because it made everyone happy to be at the game,” Erlacher said. “It not only welcomes our fans, but also out-of-state fans.”

“Fan Ambassador” volunteers, positioned at key spots around the stadium, greeted fans before the game to welcome them to Camp Randall and handed out free stickers and T-shirt coupons, Erlacher said.

Porubcan didn’t notice any of the students in green shirts or any of the scoreboard announcements.

Conversely, Erlacher felt the ambassadors made a huge impact.

“I was there two hours before the game, and within 10 seconds [of my arriving, I] was talking to someone,” she said. “[Rolling out the Red Carpet] started off slowly, but it will pick up as the season goes on and be very influential.”