Which way will Wisconsin go? Bush, Kerry vie for swing state

In response to an ad criticizing John Kerry’s service in Vietnam, Democrats are fighting back to defend the military record of the party’s presidential nominee.

Democrats brought the defense of Kerry’s record to Wisconsin Aug. 22 when former Georgia Senator Max Cleland spoke at the Dane County Coliseum as part of a statewide “Tour of Honor.”

Cleland, a Vietnam veteran who lost both legs and his right arm in combat, was joined by fellow veteran Jim Wasser, who served on the same boat as Kerry.

Wasser described his former crewmate as a courageous and caring leader who “never made one bad command decision.”

Wasser and Cleland took issue with the recent ad by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. They said the group is part of a smear campaign that Bush has used against opponents in the past.

“They (Swift Vets) have crossed the line — they did it to John McCain in 2000, they did it to Max Cleland, and I’ll be damned if they’re going to do it to John Kerry,” said Wasser, who suggested the group change its name to the “Swift Boat Veterans for Bush.”

Cleland drew a connection between the advertisement and the Bush campaign, dubbing the group part of Bush’s “slime machine.” Cleland said Bush’s dirty tactics indicate a sense of desperation.

“When you start throwing dirt, you’re losing ground,” Cleland said, adding Bush was using the “fraudulent” ads to pit veterans against each other.

Cleland’s stop in Madison completed a four-day tour throughout Wisconsin. Although much of the talk centered on Kerry’s Vietnam service, the tour’s primary purpose was to rally support for Kerry among veterans, which was accomplished, according to tour spokesperson Lesley Sillaman.

The tour comes at a time when Kerry’s military record — a point of emphasis during the Democratic National Convention — has come under strong attack, largely due to the Swift Boat ad.

In the advertisement, which has aired in several battleground states, including Wisconsin, Vietnam veterans claim Kerry’s actions in Vietnam were not as courageous as the Massachusetts senator makes them out to be. They say he lied to receive a Bronze Star, a Silver Star and three Purple Hearts.

In a direct response to the Swift Boat ad, the Kerry campaign released a television advertisement of its own accusing the Bush campaign of using the group to smear Kerry, charges echoed by Cleland.

However, the Bush campaign has denied any involvement with the group.

In a letter sent Aug. 23 to station managers running the ad, the Bush team denied the allegation of any link to the group, which under campaign finance laws would be illegal.

Even with the controversy, Cleland said the Kerry campaign’s emphasis on his military record is necessary for a post-9/11 presidential campaign.

“We need a genuine military man … and the leadership that brings,” Cleland said, calling Kerry an “authentic” leader.

Jessi Schober, co-chair of Students for Bush, thinks Kerry should have known the decision to highlight his Vietnam experience would be scrutinized. Schober added that the uproar over the Swift Boat ads ignores similar ads critical of the president.

“It raises the question of whose voice is allowed to be heard during a campaign,” Schober said. “The media is getting on the [Swift Boat] ad, but where were they during the Moveon.org ads?”