Republican contenders target Feingold

Republican contenders for the Wisconsin U.S. Senate seat race formed a firm consensus on their collective disdain for incumbent Sen. Russ Feingold in a debate Thursday at the Holiday Inn.

Agreeing in large part on a range of issues from cutting taxes, reducing government spending and ensuring national security by remaining in Iraq, the four Senate hopefuls pointed a critical finger at Democrat Feingold rather than at each other during the debate.

All four candidates — state Sen. Bob Welch, R-Redgranite, car dealer Russ Darrow, attorney Robert Lorge and business owner Tim Michels — criticized Feingold as a high-tax, high-spend liberal whose “maverick” vote against the Patriot Act makes him unfit for office.

“I believe Russ Feingold’s vote was just terrible. It was un-American, is what is was,” Darrow said, identifying himself as the “right Russ” for the job.

President Bush’s decision to go to war in Iraq was also wholeheartedly supported by the four hopefuls, as all agreed toppling Saddam was necessary for the war on terror. Each argued the United States cannot afford to pull out of Iraq, both because such a move would pose a threat to national security and because implementing democracy in the country is an integral part of fighting terrorism.

“If we can have democracy improve smack-dab in the Middle East, that may be [the best thing] that has happened in my lifetime,” Michels said.

Michels, touting his 12 years of service in the military as an Army infantry officer, said although he is “the youngest guy in this race,” he has “lived the issues in my 44 years.”

However, Welch argued only he can run on an elected official’s record, making him the most competitive candidate to go against Feingold in the fall. He was elected to the state Senate in 1995 and has been involved in politics for more than 20 years.

Welch pointed to his time in the state Senate working to “shrink” the size of government as proof he is the Republican best suited for national office.

“Limited government gives us unlimited opportunities,” he said.

Lorge agreed with Welch’s small-government sentiments.

“That’s what it’s all about, being a Republican: Less government, [more] local government,” Lorge said, adding legislators must learn how to “say no more than we say yes.”

Candidates also focused on the issue of jobs, arguing the U.S. must implement a policy not just of free trade, but of “fair and balanced trade.”

Above all, the Republican contenders held that the government must dramatically cut spending while upholding President Bush’s tax cuts in order to bolster the economy.

The four candidates will be narrowed Sept. 14 to one contender to go head-to-head against Feingold. Currently, 51 percent of Wisconsin residents would like to see Feingold win re-election in the fall, while 29 percent want to see someone else take the seat, according to a recent Badger Poll.

All three top Republican challengers, Welch, Michels and Darrow, received name recognition from only one in five Wisconsin voters.