City Council adopts smoking ordinance

The proposed smoking-ban ordinance for the city of Madison was adopted with a 15 to 5 vote at a City Council meeting Tuesday night. Attending the meeting were the 20 city alders, as well as members of groups supporting both sides of the issue.

The ordinance will issue a citywide ban for all bars and tavern establishments in the Madison area.

Groups such as Teens Against Tobacco Use and Smoke Free Madison attended the hearing to urge the passing of the ban, while a few local business owners as well as members of the public argued against the ordinance.

One of the biggest issues brought to the table by supporters of the ban was workers’ rights in establishments that permit smoking. Supporters argued that allowing smoking in workplaces, such as bars, hinders workers’ rights to a healthy work environment.

Ryan Sheahan, organizer of Smoke Free Madison, said, “Not everyone has a choice of where they can work.”

Sheahan works with student groups to raise awareness on issues such as smoking. Many of the members spoke at the hearing, arguing the previous smoking ordinance discriminated against those with existing health problems.

Those opposed to the ban argued the ordinance as unnecessary since ventilation systems prevent the smell of smoke from lingering in restaurants and bars, as well as filter most of the smoke out of the air.

However, members of Smoke Free Madison pointed out the vents only rid the air of visible smoke particles, so harmful toxins can remain present.

Representatives of local taverns also brought up the possibility of increased noise and litter outside nonsmoking facilities due to smokers moving outdoors to smoke.

They voiced the concern that local neighborhoods would have to deal with the added noise.

The effects the ordinance will have on local businesses caused much of the debate surrounding the issue. Those against the ban argued that once the ordinance takes effect in downtown Madison, smokers will take their business to nearby cities that allow smoking in their facilities.

Proponents of the ban suggested bars might see increased business with the new ordinance, since people who would normally avoid bars because of the smoke will start going to bars once they are smoke-free.

Ald. Steve Holtzman, who has been promoting the smoke-free ordinance, offered his thanks to the people attending the hearing as well as his wish for a quick outcome.

“We’ve been trapped in this kind of legislation for 30 years,” Holtzman said.

The council discussed enacting the ordinance by July 2005.

Other events at the meeting included the passing of continued renovation of State Street and the reconstruction of Lisa Link Peace Park.

Two and a half more phases will be completed under the new schedule for State Street. City Council President Mike Verveer said he was optimistic the future phases would not have the budget issues the original plans did.

The final plans for Peace Park were approved, two years after the Lisa Link Advisory Committee proposed the park’s renovation.