Mounds of importance

A University of Wisconsin anthropology Ph.D. candidate discovered a structure of clamshells that could predate the former notion of when people in the area settled. He discovered these shells while he was canoeing through the swamps of southern Mexico, staying wary of poisonous snakes and avoiding cocaine smugglers.

John Hodgson, a Madison native, found the 240-foot-long, 90-foot-wide and 21-foot-tall structure about an hour north of the Guatemalan border with the help of village natives. Hodgson said asking people in the area, especially fishermen, where notable structures are is a good policy because they have worked and lived in the vicinity.

“Most people aren’t familiar with more than five miles from where they live,” Hodgson said, adding that fishermen often travel where most residents would not.

A blind man first discovered the massive building during the 1970s, when a dynamite explosion uncovered the top layer.

Carbon dating revealed the structure was used over the course of 500 years and dated back to 3024 B.C., about 5000 years ago. Hodgson said this find could displace the old theory, which states people began to construct permanent buildings more than 1000 years after this date.

“People have thought that these early populations were moving around,” Hodgson said, adding he believes the mounds were used for ceremonial purposes because they appear to be too large for simple living quarters. “This changes the whole ballgame. The whole evolution of the piece of the coast … is now getting a much clearer picture.”

Sissel Schroeder, a UW anthropology professor, noted the importance of Hodgson’s find, and added more research will provide a clarified depiction of civilization in the area.

“I think it’s pretty significant,” Schroeder said. “It’s going to take a lot more research. Some things that could result is that we may learn more about the kinds of foods (they ate).”

Hodgson said he plans on going back to the site this fall because more research needs to be done. One thing Hodgson said he would research is post holes where natives would have posted a wooden structure on top of the clam mound. Hodgson also pointed out this mound showcased the complexity of ancient people, a sentiment Schroeder agreed with.

“There’s an assumption that these populations are very simple,” Hodgson said. “Time doesn’t dictate complexity.”

“People of the past are just as creative as they are today,” Schroeder concurred.

Hodgson said working as an anthropologist can make work difficult to find at times, and even get dangerous.

“If you get hurt, you’re done,” Hodgson said, adding cocaine dealers in the area would “minimize risks” by shooting trespassers in the area, no matter what their affiliation.

“[This swampy area] is the main corridor for cocaine, so I made sure they [cocaine runners] knew who I was. I try not to get my people killed.”

Schroeder suggested some of the success and legitimacy of Hodgson and others could be due to UW’s anthropology and archaeology programs. Schroeder said the two programs are among the “best in the country.”