Chvala’s speech hints at retirement

State Senator Chuck Chvala, D-Madison, all but formally announced his retirement from the legislature after giving an emotional speech on the senate floor March 12.

In the midst of a Senate busy wrapping up session, Chvala gave what many colleagues understood to be a resignation speech of sorts. Due to charges against the senator in the ongoing Capitol corruption scandal, most legislators expect Chvala to resign his post before the fall election.

Chvala currently faces 19 felony charges accusing him of widespread misconduct in office. Among the charges Chvala has been accused of are using state money and employees for political campaign purposes and initiating pay-to-play politics.

Four other politicians, from both parties, have also been charged in the investigation.

Other indications Chvala will not seek re-election include campaign finance records that reveal the senator stopped fundraising and has shifted the majority of his money toward legal costs, according the Wisconsin State Journal.

Rep. Mark Miller, D-Monona, announced his candidacy for the 16th Senate District seat, which encompasses large portions of Madison and outlying areas, days after Chvala’s speech.

“I think that the charges against him really made it difficult for him to continue to exercise effective leadership,” Miller said, indicating that a Capitol absent of those involved in the scandals may lead to cleaner politics.

“There is a system problem. But there will be considerable change in the election this fall. It is my hope that a number of new faces will make it easier to enact change in the system,” Miller said.

Miller acknowledged that Chvala had been an important force in Wisconsin politics, initiating policies that led to smaller class sizes and SeniorCare, a prescription drug program for the elderly. However, Miller also emphasized that although Chvala deserved an opportunity to defend himself, the charges in and of themselves were enough to jeopardize Chvala’s ability to effectively represent his district.

“Even the appearance of unethical behavior undermines the institution of democracy and the public trust,” Miller said. “Once you have the perception that the system is not working as it should, then you undermine the system.”

Miller indicated he was starting a grassroots campaign to solicit support from district residents rather than large money contributors, pointing to big money in political campaigns as part of the reason for the caucus scandal.

Another Democrat, Timothy Coger of Sun Prairie, is also planning to run for the seat, as well as Republican Eric Peterson of Oregon. Peterson said he saw Miller’s candidacy announcement as proof that Chvala would probably leave the Legislature, but remained cautious in assuming Chvala would not run for re-election.

“I’ll believe it when I see it,” Peterson said.

Peterson indicated that the caucus scandals would be the central issue of the campaign. He said his identity as a successful businessman, rather than a “professional politician,” would resonate with residents who want someone who represents them rather than special interests.

“It’s about the people having someone they can trust. I don’t think the people at the Legislature can be trusted,” Peterson said, adding that a continuing culture of political corruption needs to be stopped.

“When you got Gary George and Jensen and all those people who [think they] are above the law. The Lautenschlagers,” he said. “I mean, what are you going to do?”