New cafeteria opens in the Union

The Lakefront on Langdon, a new $2.5 million cafeteria in the Memorial Union, opened to the public Monday after the area of the union was closed off from dining for more than two years.

The new facility offers a salad bar, wraps, pizza slices and stir fry, among other things ? many of which are made right in front of the hungry patrons’ eyes. Julie Vincent, assistant director of food and retail of the Wisconsin Union, said the change in menus from the other campus eateries was the goal of the Lakefront.

“Everything that we’re doing is different,” Vincent said. “We’re really focusing on foods that were totally different.”

Vincent also said the pizza should be a big draw for students. She added that the pies are not the same as the pizza found at housing restaurants, Carson’s Carryout or Ed’s Express, saying the crust is different, and the Lakefront will make its own pizza sauce.

However, Vincent said the food would not be the only draw for students. The dining room overlooks the Terrace and gives passersby a stunning view of the now slushy and frozen Lake Mendota. The Lakefront is also much brighter than its predecessor, painted in bright colors with light from the windows pouring into the plentiful wooden tables with soft colorful lighting. Vincent said the restaurant that used to take the Lakefront’s space was much darker with many booths, but the new Lakefront lost nearly all the booths and is “bright and airy.” Vincent thinks the new Lakefront complements the atmosphere and food choices of the neighboring Rathskellar.

Anna Siebers, a UW sophomore working the registers on the Lakefront’s first day of operation, said the all-new staff trained last week and over the weekend. She also commented that the ambiance of the Lakefront does not just have daytime appeal.

“I think it’ll be cool at night,” Siebers said. The Lakefront’s kitchen closes at 7, but opens up an area where students can get pizza and other snacks until the Union closes. Siebers, whose favorite menu item is the European style soda Orangina, also said the Lakefront would be a good place for students to study at any time.

“I think it’s really going to be conducive to studying,” Siebers said. Siebers also said she was surprised by a rather quiet day at the café.

This is due to a “soft opening” according to Vincent. Vincent said many restaurants do a relatively quiet opening to tweak the menu, perfect the recipes and get all the equipment in proper working order. Vincent said the true grand opening with public advertising and signs making the eatery well known to the general population will happen after spring break.

UW sophomore Calie Henrickson visited the Lakefront on its first day and said she enjoyed the food and the atmosphere, and she was pleased to find more vegetarian foods than other UW run eateries.

“I think there’s more vegetarian options…and healthier options,” Henrickson said. Henrickson, a vegetarian, said her choices at the Rathskellar were few, and she basically only got a taco salad. “But I’d take a wrap over a taco salad every day.”

Henrickson said she was fond of the food from her first impression, but offered that her visits to other cafes on campus were not over.

“I’m not going to stop going to the Rathskellar or [other campus eateries],” Henrickson said.