Student groups follow primaries closely

Local student-run campaigns are rallying behind their respective candidates after Tuesday’s races, gearing up for Wisconsin’s Feb. 17 presidential primary.

Wisconsin is the only primary Feb. 17 and is expected to be a showdown, as candidates scramble to secure a win before the Super Tuesday primaries March 2.

“This shows that the race is still definitely wide open,” said Adam Diederich, co-coordinator of Students for Clark. “The nomination is anything but wrapped up for Kerry.”

The Clark campaign is set to focus heavily on Wisconsin to win votes that will catapult Clark into the March 2 Super Tuesday races, Diederich said.

“Wisconsin could definitely be the stepping stone for something really big for us,” he said.

Student supporters touted Edward’s South Carolina victory as another promise their candidate has delivered.

“Edwards made it clear that South Carolina was a must-win for his campaign, and he came through on it,” said Jonathan Mandell, chair of Students for Edwards. “It is a significant night because it levels the playing field to Kerry and Edwards.”

Kerry supporters, however, thought otherwise, saying Tuesday’s results prove Kerry is the lead candidate and is set to capture the nomination.

“It is a vindication for those of us who said that John Kerry is the strongest possible candidate go against George Bush,” said Don Eggert, co-chair of Students for Kerry.

Eggert said the momentum gained tonight would propel the Kerry campaign to continue on strong, particularly in Wisconsin.

“We are going to go into every state and expect to win, and Wisconsin is no exception. We are not going to take a backseat to Howard Dean or John Edwards in Wisconsin,” Eggert said.

The Dean campaign did not meet to watch the returns come in Tuesday night. Shira Roza, Chair of Students for Dean, said that Dean’s low number of votes in the seven states was expected and was the result of “an unconventional strategy because [Howard Dean] is an unconventional candidate.”

“Even though the press wants to declare an early winner, there are still 41 states left to vote,” Roza said.

Dean decided earlier not to campaign for the Feb. 3 primaries in order to focus more heavily on Washington, Maine, Michigan and particularly Wisconsin before Super Tuesday.