3rd lawsuit filed against CU football team

Yet another woman has filed a lawsuit against the University of Colorado-Boulder, alleging UC football players sexually assaulted her and the university then retaliated in a racially discriminatory way.

All three lawsuits stem from a Dec.7 party in 2001. Two other women have come forward to say UC football players raped them at the party. In their arguments, the lawsuits use Title IX, which prohibits gender discrimination; the suits claim UC engaged in discrimination by failing to properly supervise the off-campus party for players and high school recruits. The lawsuits also state UC knew of its questionable recruiting practices in 1997 after UC players raped a high school girl at a local hotel.

“My understanding of the Dec. 7, 2001, party is that it was an official university activity. The football players were actually given money to show the recruits a good time over the weekend,” Adam Ewing, a UC student, said. “But UC is saying that because it was an off-campus party, it wasn’t sanctioned by the university and they can wash their hands of it.”

The third student, Monique Gillespie, said in addition to being raped by two UC-Boulder football players, she was racially discriminated against by the university.

Gillespie, who won a full scholarship to the university, said UC’s soccer coach made racially discriminatory remarks to her when she first joined the team.

Boulder police interviewed Gillespie, an African American, about the party where the alleged rape occurred in 2001, where she said the purpose of the party was “to show the recruits a good time.”

The lawsuit, filed Jan. 14, states Gillespie’s scholarship was revoked after the UC assistant athletic director made racially charged threats to Gillespie and her mother. Then, the suit alleges, CU made sure Gillespie was not registered for the following semester, forcing her to drop out of school.

Bronson Hilliard, the managing editor for the university’s student newspaper, The Colorado Daily, said UC has a policy of not commenting on pending litigation.

Steve Malchow, associate athletic director at the University of Wisconsin, said he could not recall any similar incidents at UW since his hiring in 1990.

“At UW, players act as hosts or hostesses to recruits, but we certainly don’t encourage underage drinking,” Malchow said. “The recruit has specific events to attend, usually tied into team games.”

UW established a student-athlete discipline policy in the fall of 2003. The document states, “If a student-athlete has been convicted of, charged with or arrested for a violation of the law involving drugs, gambling or violence, the student-athlete would be suspended from all competitions and practices.”

A student-athlete may appeal suspensions under the policy.

Malchow said the policy includes an example of an instance where a student athlete would be charged for a violation in order to discourage further violations.

“It adds teeth to the policy and discourages students from comprising situations,” Malchow said.

Ewing said UC does have athlete-student discipline guidelines, but the athletic department has shown no indication of modifying its policies.

The assistant district attorney in Boulder declined comment on any of the lawsuits or surrounding issues.