Thompson begins trip to observe AIDS implications

Former Wisconsin Governor and current Department of Human and Health Services Secretary Tommy Thompson began an eight-day survey in sub-Saharan Africa Nov. 30 along with 80 others who are collectively traveling to observe the implications of the AIDS pandemic.

The survey will cover four countries, including Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda and Zambia, with a stopover in Cameroon.

According to HHS Spokesman Campbell Gardett, the purpose of Thompson’s trip is twofold.

“The two big issues being addressed on the trip are prevention and treatment,” Gardett said. “We are exploring ways to effectively stop [HIV] in places with little communication and education … and are hoping to get drugs to those places.”

Gardett continued saying that 40 of the individuals on the trip are from the private sector.

“Those individuals from the private sector are being exposed and shown how serious the situation is,” Gardett said.

During his trip, Thompson will explore the current treatment and prevention activities in the area of malaria, tuberculosis and AIDS. Thompson will also travel to areas currently funded by President Bush’s Emergency Plan for AIDS relief and the Global Fund. Thompson hopes that these funds and other medical advancements will help slow and potentially reverse the ravaging affects of the AIDS virus.

University of Wisconsin associate director of the HIV Program and HIV Specialist Dr. James Sosman believes there are slow and steady advancements being made in the fight against AIDS.

“People now struggling with the disease are living better and longer in developed nations such as the United States,” Sosman said. “Although there are no preventive vaccines, researchers believe that we will soon reap the benefits of the growing research.”

Sosman also said there are several people working on various research teams around the UW medical community.

“We have a number of people doing research with clinical trials of pharmaceuticals being performed … we currently have 21 medicines to attack the virus and are looking for ways to make the medicines better,” Sosman said. “Currently, we have basic knowledge of the virus and are conducting immunology and vaccine research.”

Additionally, UW researchers are examining the socioeconomic implications of the AIDS pandemic around the world.

According to UW Sociology professor Alberto Palloni, some of the research being conducted looks at the effects on the familial structure of those infected.

“Researchers are examining the impact of HIV on the family. There are a large number of orphaned kids and skipped households, ones in which there are grandparents and kids, but no bridging generations,” Palloni said, adding that he believes serious strides need to be taken to help curb the growth of the virus.

“If we don’t do something, [AIDS] will grow … and there will be an increase in mortality.”

Currently, 40 million people are suffering from HIV, with many of the reported cases in developing nations. Five million cases have been reported in 2003.