Season of giving

With Thanksgiving rapidly approaching and the holiday season not far behind it, many students may find themselves wanting to give back to the less fortunate. Often, financially strapped students do not realize that they can contribute to their community in many ways other than monetary donations, and often, all it takes to make a difference is a little time and effort.

In 2000, a total of 64,438 children in Dane County used food pantries, according to United Way of Dane County. For some, a hearty Thanksgiving meal is hard to come by, which is why local food pantries are teaming up to provide Thanksgiving meals for those in need.

The Dane County Food Pantry Network’s Thanksgiving Basket Program is a collaboration of several organizations throughout the county. There are 2500 families on the list to receive baskets, and an additional 240 on the waiting list, according to Margo Tiedt, Community Resources director of Atwood Community Center, one organization participating in the Thanksgiving basket project.

Anyone can apply to receive a basket; however, priority is given to families composed of children or senior citizens, according to Heather Hazelwood, the assistant director of United Way 211.

“The priority is to help families celebrate the holiday,” Hazelwood said.

The program provides Dane County families in need with a traditional Thanksgiving meal they can prepare at home. The meal includes a frozen turkey, potatoes, carrots, celery, stuffing, cranberry sauce, Jell-O, fruit, gravy, and pumpkin-pie mix.

Atwood Center will be contributing 800 baskets — a very large amount of food that the organization must supply.

“That means 1600 cans of fruit, 800 boxes of stuffing mix, and all of the other items that will go in the baskets,” Tiedt said.

Although Tiedt is aware that most students have their own financial struggles, small donations can go a long way.

“Every little bit will help,” Tiedt said.

Inexpensive items that students can donate include stuffing mix, piecrust mix, or Jell-O.

For those who cannot donate money or goods, there is always a need for volunteers. People all over Madison have been volunteering their time to aid in United Way’s effort.

“We had almost 100 volunteers just for the application process,” Hazelwood said. “Now we are moving into the distribution period and will need help at distribution sites.”

During the holiday season, there is a surge in volunteers because people are moved by the “giving spirit” of the time, according to Tiedt. While the help is well appreciated, Tiedt said it is important to remember that people struggle to put food on the table during every season, not just during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

“It’s wonderful for everybody to donate during the holiday season, but it is important to remember that there are a lot of families that need assistance at other times of the year,” Tiedt said.

Organizations working to provide Thanksgiving baskets include: Atwood Community Center, Community Action Coalition, Deerfield/Cambridge Food Pantry, Seventh Day Adventist Community Services, St. Stephen’s Food Cupboard, St. Vincent de Paul, McFarland Community Pantry, Sun Prairie Emergency Food Pantry, Verona Food Pantry and United Way 211.

Hazelwood said that she would encourage students to help out during the rest of the year, and that if any student is interested in volunteering they can give her a call at 246-4380.

Students can also go to www.volunteeryourtime.org if they would like to help distribute Thanksgiving baskets or help with other community efforts to support those in need.