Cieslewicz holds conference against conceal-and-carry

The Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort and Madison mayor Dave Cieslewicz held a press conference at the State Capitol Wednesday morning protesting pending controversial concealed-weapons legislation.

Leaders from all over the state, representing a variety of different groups attended the conference to express their disgust and anger over the proposed changes to the current concealed-weapons law.

Under the current law, it is illegal for anyone to carry a concealed weapon in Wisconsin. However, state Republicans are pushing for an amendment to the law, which would allow law-abiding citizens to own and carry weapons at their leisure.

The proposed amendment has been at the center of a heated controversy.

Jeri Bonavia, executive director of the Anti-Violence Effort, strongly opposes the proposed legislation.

“Most people in Wisconsin don’t want to pass a law for concealed weapons,” Bonavia said. “Proponents of [conceal-and-carry] laws claim that concealed weapons will provide individuals with an unparalleled means of self-defense while offering society an effective method of decreasing crime. Experts, scientific evidence, experience and common sense contradict these claims.”

Cieslewicz agreed, calling the bill the worst piece of legislation to come out of the State Senate during his tenure.

“This is the most irresponsible bill to come out of the legislature… it is fundamentally wrong” Cieslewicz said. “No one is their right mind will vote for this bill, because it is not an answer to crime.”

Cieslewicz added that individuals with concealed weapons delayed police officers from responding to rioters on State Street during last weekend’s Halloween celebration.

“On Friday night, one individual was found with a concealed weapon…[on] Saturday, one of the rioters was seen with a gun… although it was fake, it was a cause of concern for police officers.”

Local enforcement personnel sympathized with Cieslewicz and also expressed their concern over the bill.

University of Wisconsin police chief Susan Riseling said that she is strongly opposed to the bill. She said the term “law-abiding” is being defined too loosely in the bill.

Under the specifications, those who have not engaged in criminal activity within the last three years are considered to be law-abiding. However, the bill makes no reference to individuals who may have committed crimes prior to that time frame. Furthermore, Riseling said the proposed bill would put the campus in danger.

“In the amendment, guns aren’t allowed in campus buildings, but are allowed on school grounds … what do you do with your gun when you need to go into a building?” Riseling said. “It will create concern at the large events and demonstrations that take place on school grounds and delay officers from reacting in an emergency.”

However, supporters of the bill say that the information being given out by opponents of the bill is propagated in an attempt to scare the population.

Chairman of UW College Republicans Frank Harris said most Republicans support the bill for its many benefits.

“It is important, because of the various instances in which people who, had they been armed, may have been able to protect themselves,” Harris said.

Harris emphasized that the law will not make guns available to everyone.

“I think it is important for people to know that there will be strict restrictions in place for those wishing to purchase a gun. This will not be like the Wild West where everyone will be shooting off their guns,” Harris added.

The bill has been approved by the Senate by a 24-8 vote and is currently being examined by the Assembly.

Gov. Jim Doyle has promised to veto the bill if it passes, but state Republicans are working hard to make sure that they can rally enough support to override any such veto.