Israeli communications director defends security-fence construction

Josh Weinberg, Director of Communications for the Consulate General of Israel, came to speak at Hillel Wednesday night about a security fence being built in Israel.

In the media, the security fence has been called a “wall,” and by some more extreme sources, an “apartheid wall.”

However, Weinberg stressed the fact that the structure is a fence — not a wall — and an impermanent structure with the purpose of protecting its citizens, not to separate groups of people.

“In this PR game, words matter,” Weinberg said.

Approximately 94 percent of the fence will be composed of chain links, while only a very small section will be made of concrete. The concrete part will be at a significant site where terrorists shoot at Israeli passersby.

Since September 2000, approximately 900 Israelis have been murdered by Palestinian terrorists, according to Weinberg.

“I don’t want to deny the fact that going to Israel is scary,” Weinberg said.

According to Weinberg, every public place is a target for terrorism, and Israelis are forced to live in a continuous fear of attack.

“This is a result of terrorism — that we are terrorized by it,” Weinberg said.

According to a study done by Robert Pape at the University of Chicago, 100 out of the 180 suicide attacks since 1980 have taken place in Israel, and each attack took place in Israel’s West Bank.

The Israeli safety fence has been put in place to prevent terrorists from easily crossing into Israeli territory and inciting violence.

“Israel felt it had no way to prevent people from crossing over to blow themselves up,” Weinberg said.

The government felt that additional security was necessary.

“The Seam Zone is a manifestation of Israel’s basic commitment to defend its citizens,” Weinberg said.

Since the first stage of the wall was completed in July, the crime rate in Israel decreased by 30 percent.

Weinberg compared the fence to apartments with barred windows; however unsightly they may be, there is a reason they exist, and that is to ensure the safety of residents.

Weinberg said Israel is aware of the inconvenience the fence may cause, but sees it as a necessary establishment to ensure the safety of its people.

Some media sources have mistakenly reported that the fence is a ploy by Israel to steal land, but if the fence goes through anyone’s property, that property owner will be reimbursed. Similarly, any land divided by the fence indisputably remains the property of its original owner.

Within Israel, those in opposition to the fence are the extremists, according to Weinberg. More than 70 percent of Israeli citizens are in favor of the wall. In fact, Weinberg said that the original idea of the wall was a left-wing liberal idea.

However, a recent U.N. resolution was passed that condemns the fence construction, and some attendees of the meeting said they felt the construction of this fence might hinder the peace process.

“I don’t think this fence is a constructive step,” said Peter Augello, a University of Wisconsin grad student.

Another UW student said skepticism is necessary in digesting news.

“This is an important issue on campus,” said Jenna Sheftel, president of Madison Israel Public Affairs Committee. “People need to be wary of the media and not take everything on the surface as the complete truth.”