Parking ramp public hearing to guarantee controversy

City officials, hopeful developers and concerned citizens will meet Tuesday night to discuss the creation of a mid-State Street parking structure that may increase downtown traffic and entail the destruction of historic buildings.

According to Mike Verveer, City Council President and member of the Mid-State Street Parking Ramp Committee, money has been set aside in the city’s budget to build a ramp in the mid-State Street area.

“I have long been in support of additional parking in the mid-State Street area,” Verveer said.

However, the decision has been debated for the past 10 years because of two major questions regarding the best location for a ramp and whether the ramp would be used for other purposes.

According to Verveer, the Mid-State Street Parking Ramp Committee has studied the block surrounded by North Henry, West Gilman, West Gorham and the 400 block of State Street, which is where the parking lot next to Pizzeria Uno’s is located. The committee hopes to come up with a proposal that meets the needs of the city while respecting the wishes of nearby residents, Verveer said.

The committee was established by former Mayor Sue Baumann and has met for one year thus far, gathering data, examining parking structures in other cities and looking at different plans submitted by developers.

“Basically, we’ve been learning a lot,” said Trudy Barash, member of the Mid-State Street Parking Ramp Committee and owner of Canterbury Booksellers.

Despite their dedication, this committee seems anxious to have a decision made, Verveer said. Several proposals have been presented to the committee.

One plan, proposed by Urban Land Interests, would require the removal of about six houses by the Buckeye Lot (located on West Gorham by Pizzeria Uno’s) and the removal of the Lisa Link Peace Park. Some committee members said this plan, however, does not seem feasible due to the degree of destruction it would entail.

Other proposals, such as the one presented by Madison developer THT, would mean smaller scale destruction but still require the destruction of three houses in the Mansion Hill Historic District.

Some committee members are opposed to knocking down historic buildings, including member Ledell Zellers. She said the houses that developers want to knock down are special because they have stood in Madison since the 1800s.

“You need vernacular architecture for a historic district,” Zellers said. “I object to the lack of concern in tearing down historic structures.”

Verveer said some downtown activists have suggested building the ramp on the other side of State Street on Gilman Street and turning Gilman into a two-way street, which may prevent these buildings from being torn down and may also help ease traffic congestion.

The committee, however, is composed of people with differing opinions.

“I would say there are wildly divergent views [on the committee],” Zellers said.

Barash said she is appreciative of historic preservation. However, she is willing to sacrifice a couple of historic buildings in order to help downtown business. With the build-up of the East and West sides of Madison comes a greater reluctance by people to come downtown, she said.

“It is a hassle especially in winter,” Barash said.

Regardless of the parking structure’s location, it will serve various facilities.

“No longer will the city of Madison build just an ugly parking ramp,” Verveer said. “We will integrate the ramp into the fabric of the neighborhood.”

The parking structure would likely have a retail ground floor and apartments above the garage.

Despite the controversy, Barash said she has faith that there will be a good tone to the meeting Tuesday night, and no matter what decision the committee reaches, it will take into account the wishes of all parties involved.

“I think it is going to be done with respect,” Barash said.

“I would definitely encourage anyone who has interest to take a moment to turn out for the meeting,” Verveer said.

The meeting will be held Tuesday at 6 p.m. at the Civic Center.