Stillwater shooting suspect found innocent

A jury found the suspect charged in the March 10 shooting at Stillwaters, 33-year-old Altwan Cross, not guilty of attempted murder and endangering safety Thursday.

About 10 rounds were fired from outside the window into the crowded bar where a rap competition was held earlier in the evening.

Only one person was hit by a bullet, Hernandis Burks, the cousin of a rapper performing that night. Burks was treated for minor injuries to his arm and leg.

State prosecutors called numerous witnesses to testify who saw Cross in Stillwaters the night of the shooting, along with witnesses who said they saw a man with a gun. However, no one who could identify Cross as the gunman.

In his performance, Ricky Burks made comments about Cross, but witnesses testified Cross and Ricky Burks spoke afterward and did not seem upset. A fight broke out that night between Ricky Burks, Hernandis Burks, Ira Rolack, and Antwan Richmond. Witnesses testified that Cross played both the role of the peacemaker and instigator of the fight, according to the Capital Times.

Cross’ attorney Mark Eisenberg questioned the reliability of the gunshot residue found in Cross? jacket, which was used as evidence. He also said that various witness descriptions of the gunman allow the possibility that it may have been someone other than Cross who fired the gunshots, reported the Capital Times.

Dane County Circuit Court Judge Steven Ebert also dismissed the charge of substantial battery against Cross Thursday.

The shooting occurred during Stillwater’s weekly open-mic hip-hop night. Stillwater’s management has ended hip-hop nights as a result of the shooting.