Halloween store’s stay only temporary

New businesses come in and out of State Street, but most last longer than two and a half months. Halloween Express, a temporary Halloween-costume store, however, will close its doors in mid-November after its short stay on State Street.

Halloween Express on State Street has a plethora of costumes, from witch hats to pimp hats to top hats, to Al Gore masks or ketchup-bottle costumes, outfit ideas abound by perusing the store.

Sales have been “decent,” according to Justin Meyers, manager of Halloween Express. He said he expects a rush of students once the holiday comes closer.

“We expect a lot of last-minute stuff,” Meyers said.

However, District 8 Ald. Austin King said he is ready to see the business replaced with something that will stick around.

“I would prefer to see a store that will anchor that spot for another 30 years. Ideally we’ll have a local small business that will stay in that spot for decades to come,” King said. “I think it’s a transitional business that saw an opportunity after the closing of Art Mart … In general, I don’t think having a transitional business is a good economic plan for State Street, but I am fine with it.”

Some students said they are not willing to pay the $20-30 to a costume shop, however.

“I would pay no more than 15 to 20 dollars,” said Stefanie Chern, a University of Wisconsin sophomore. “It’s just one night.”

Some students said they intend to make their own costumes. UW junior Kate Williams, who was searching the racks at Halloween Express, said she planned on creating her own costume.

“I’m just getting ideas,” she said.

For some students, dressing up for Halloween is a nostalgic retreat to the careless days of trick-or-treating.

“You get to be a little kid,” UW sophomore Jacki Walczak said. “You can wear the same thing when you’re five as when you’re 25.”

For others, the decision involves putting on something they already have lying around the house. For some students the idea of spending a Halloween costume-less is preposterous.

“As long as I am dressed up as something, I’ll be able to have a good time,” Chern said.