Wisconsin democrats celebrate women in government

The Democratic Party of Wisconsin gathered Saturday night to celebrate women in Wisconsin government, with notable political figures including former Attorney General Janet Reno.

Other prominent attendees included Gov. Jim Doyle, Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk, Wisconsin Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager and Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton.

Doyle, who introduced Reno, discussed a need for change in the juvenile correction system. He said Wisconsin should adopt Reno’s vision of building America by focusing on improving children’s lives rather than on juvenile detention centers.

“Let’s work with these young people,” Doyle said.

Reno also discussed a need for worldwide peace, urging everyone to get involved.

“It’s not fame or fortune that you bring to politics, it is the difference you can make in the lives of others. We have to build America together,” Reno said.

Instead of fighting wars, Reno said the United States should attempt to fix the many problems that exist within its borders.

“We begin at the beginning with our children, and we make an investment in our children,” Reno said.

Reno also spoke about the importance of improving the health-care system and assistance to the elderly.

She said she maintains hope that creativity and the visions of people who want to make a difference will improve society. As an example, she noted Eleanor Roosevelt’s impact on history.

“We can make a difference if we use the creativity of the lady we honor tonight,” Reno said. “We have to be bold and creative and show that we can do it, and women will lead the way.”

Reno ended by demonstrating an appreciation for the progressiveness of the state of Wisconsin, where women fill four of the six key leadership positions in the state.

U.S. Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., said that only a few decades ago, when people would attend a political event, the only role women had was serving food. However, she said the transition has not been a smooth one.

“The way has been paved by people willing to block out cynicism,” Baldwin said.

Attendees paid a special tribute to one such trailblazer, Dorothy Shannon, who recently passed away but played a vital role in the Democratic Party of Wisconsin until her death.

Three other awards were awarded to women, honoring local elected officials, grassroots organizers and women with statewide impact.

Marlys Matuszak, winner of the Grassroots Organizer award, serves as 7th Congressional District Chair and is on the State Administrative Committee.

Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton handed out the Statewide Volunteer Award to Esther Leah Ritz. Ritz has supported the Democratic Party of Wisconsin for more than half a century and served as treasurer for Barbara Lawton’s campaign for lieutenant governor. She was a founder of the National Jewish Democratic Council.

“I have discovered that it’s fun to be old!” she said upon receiving her award.

The politicians and political contributors at the event urged people to get involved in Wisconsin politics.

“Young women ought to get involved in a political party,” said Maureen O’Brien, one nominee for the grassroots award. “It’s a lot of fun.”

Another young woman interning for the Democratic Party agreed. She said she would encourage college students to get involved with the political process by volunteering for campaigns.

“Once you get in, it’s amazing how far you can go,” said Marquette University senior Leah Frank, a Democratic Party intern.