Anthrax no joke

An increase in anthrax threats over the last few years triggered the Wisconsin State Legislature to consider increasing the penalty for people who make false threats to spread harmful substances.

The bill would make it a felony to threaten to release or disseminate harmful chemical, biological or radioactive substances.

Currently, offenders of the statute are only charged with a misdemeanor. Under the proposed rules, violators could be fined as much as $10,000 and face up to three-and-a-half years in prison.

Offenders would also be financially responsible for any of the costs associated with their pranks. These include law enforcement, medical personnel, laboratory tests and preventive treatments given to potential victims.

Rep. Steve Wieckert, R-Appleton, who authored the bill, said the proposed legislation is important for many reasons. He said the initiative for the bill came in response to a large number of pranks and practical jokes, which caused havoc for many people across the nation.

“Mischievous pranksters do these things as jokes or to scare people,” Wieckert said. “What they don’t realize is that it costs a lot of money to diffuse any potential threats, because each threat warrants an inspection by HAZMAT [or hazardous materials] workers.”

In addition to HAZMAT teams, local firemen and policemen are dispatched to secure the area, putting a major strain on resources. Outside of the financial implications, Wieckert said these sorts of events could traumatize people, hurting their mental health.

Sen. Robert Cowles, R-Green Bay, agreed with Wieckert. According to Cowles’s spokesperson Roger Frings, the bill essentially protects citizens from possible pranks. Frings said these pranks not only cost the taxpayers money, but also throw off the entire public-safety system in the city. The bill would help ensure that major resources are not wasted.

William Weidanz, University of Wisconsin professor of medical microbiology and immunology, said that a bill like this is necessary, considering the use of anthrax in the nation.

“There has been and still is a serious threat with anthrax,” Weidanz said. “The real problem is that no one had any idea that someone would use an infectious microorganism as a weapon.”

Students also agree with the newly proposed bill. UW junior Audrey Martin said the law is in need of an update.

“After 9/11 (2001), threats have gotten much more serious,” Martin said. “The state really needs this law to be in place so that people realize that there are certain lines that shouldn’t be crossed.”

UW sophomore Anna Kacyn agrees.

“People don’t take these issues seriously enough, and therefore, a government intervention is definitely needed.”

The bill passed several committees and the State Assembly with tremendous support.

“Both Democrats and Republicans have found common ground on the issue,” Weickert said.

The bill is currently awaiting approval from Gov. Jim Doyle. If approved, it will be signed into law. Wieckert is optimistic that this bill will ensure the safety of Wisconsin’s residents.