Clark Supporters Meet

Approximately 25 people gathered Tuesday evening in support of the newest addition to the democratic primary race, General Wesley Clark. Organizers of the event were excited to see other students interested in the new organization.

“I’m so pumped up,” said Clark student group leader and University of Wisconsin junior Amy Schultz. “It was a great feeling to see 25 people here tonight.”

Clark joined the race two weeks ago, and has already raised 3.5 million dollars, two-thirds of which came from Internet campaigning. Despite his savvy use of technology, his supporters at the meeting were skeptical about his ability to reach the younger generation. Some students also think Clark lacks opponent Howard Dean’s fiery composure.

Clark is known for having a more conversational style during public speeches, which leads many of his supporters to think he is the more level-headed candidate. Supporters are also aware of the challenge in gaining student support for Clark, due to the high amount of attention Dean has received around campus recently.

Many of the people who attended the meeting were undecided democrats who came to be able to make a more educated decision during primary election votes on December 17.

Until recently, Clark has been politically ambiguous, having voted in the past for Reagan, Nixon, Clinton and Gore. His supporters claim his loyalties no longer lie in Republican values and they said that as a military official, he had to be politically impartial.

Clark is a West Point graduate with a degree in economics and philosophy. Clark’s supporters are particularly confident in their candidate’s foreign policy capability. Speakers at the meeting said Clark already has a good track record with many countries including France and Britain, as well as 38 years of military experience.

Other students who are still undecided in their support of Clark were curious about the candidate’s stance on issues closer to home, like education and tax cuts. While he has not expressed a strong stance on education, Clark has said he would like to see an end to the tax cuts of high-income Americans.

Clark is also pro-choice and pro-campaign finance reform. He also claims to be pro-environment. He sees a need for change in the military’s current policy of “Don’t ask, don’t tell” regarding gay rights and is in support of civil unions.

Despite the wealth of information presented, some students were still unsure following the meeting whether they would vote for Clark or not.

“I’m staying undecided,” UW freshman Eliot Engel said. “Clark, as of yet, hasn’t given us enough.”

Others, prompted by their new knowledge of Clark, will be contributing to the campaign efforts around campus.

“I agree with what he says,” UW freshman Annie Duchek said. “I probably will help.”

Students can expect to start seeing more attention given to Clark around campus and Clark supporters remain hopeful that he will be visiting Madison, given Wisconsin’s importance in the primary elections. Student supporters plan to use chalking and signs to spread the word about the new candidate.

According to Schultz, Clark can succeed not only in the democratic primary, but more importantly in the presidential election against Bush.

“With Clark, it’s not ‘I like Dean, but he won’t win and it doesn’t matter’, it is ‘I like Clark and I know he can win’,” Schultz said.