Clark supporters gather at Luther’s

Students joined the state Wisconsin for Clark coalition Monday night at Luther’s Blues in support of presidential candidate Wesley Clark.

Retired Gen. Clark declared his democratic candidacy for president Sept. 17, 2003. Clark is a highly decorated retired four-star general and former supreme commander of NATO.

Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton was among the supporters who spoke on behalf of Clark. She talked of a recent meeting that she had with him.

“When I looked at Gen. Clark’s candidacy, one of the things that I find so key and so important about him is that this is a man who is committed to public service,” said Lawton. “This is a man with a dream for a way of life and a future for a country and he sees the need for leadership.”

Clark’s stance against the war in Iraq was also applauded at the meeting.

“He didn’t see it as a necessity for Bush to be engaging in war in Iraq,” said Amy Schultz, UW student and Campus Coordinator for Students for Clark. “He’s very pro-multilateralism.”

Clark’s supporters said Clark is a welcome alternative to President Bush.

“He’s the best nominee for president because he’s the most qualified,” Shultz stated. “He’s socially a liberal, pro-choice, pro-environment, pro-affirmative action, pro-health care.”

“He’s got a progressively, socially liberal perspective on a lot of the issues,” said Leah Rabin, UW law student and state coordinator for Students for Clark.

Speakers at the meeting also keyed in on Clark’s lifetime achievements. In his distinguished military career, Clark earned a Bronze Star and Silver Star for heroism along with the Purple Heart. His scholastic achievements include graduating first in his class at West Point.