Minnesota reciprocity under scrutiny

Minnesota’s higher-education reciprocity agreements with Wisconsin, South Dakota and North Dakota need a policy-adjustment, according to a report produced by the Minnesota legislative auditors.

The report was conducted at the request of Minnesota legislators who expressed concern that the current reciprocity agreements are actually hurting the state.

The report found that Wisconsin students who attend Minnesota colleges pay less than state residents. At the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, for example, Wisconsinites paid $1,175 less than Minnesotans last year, a discount of almost 30 percent.

Eric Dyer, U of M-Twin Cities undergraduate student-body president, thinks reciprocity agreements are essential, and that without them he would not be receiving the quality education he is today.

“I think reciprocity is a great thing. It gives … students more options than they would’ve had.”

As Dyer sees it, this issue is not one of reciprocity, but instead revolves around the lack of emphasis on higher education within the Minnesota Legislature. He feels the reciprocity issue is a “testament” to the poor manner in which the Legislature has handled higher-education matters.

The report also addressed concerns that reciprocity is encouraging intelligent youth with potential to leave the state.

“The state Legislature is not making higher education a priority,” Dyer said, adding that this causes many students to leave.

As Dyer noted, reciprocity works as a “checks and balance” system. He also said the fact that Minnesota’s system is facing these issues reflects the state’s need to improve its education standards, which in turn would help the state to meet the reciprocity standards of other states.

Minnesota Board of Regents student member Joshua Colburn, however, sees the issue in a different light.

He describes reciprocity as “beneficial for both sides,” but does not necessarily see these benefits as proportional. Thus, he feels reciprocity issues should focus on balancing out these proportions.

Auditors also said Minnesota’s other neighbors, North and South Dakota, may be receiving perks similar to Wisconsin residents. Because so many residents of South Dakota attend Minnesota schools, the state owes the Minnesota system nearly $350,000 for 2001-2002. However, South Dakota has not made this, or any other payment, since 1998.

In light of these findings, the authors of the report suggested that higher-education leaders and legislatures review the agreements more often and that they take a more definite stance in possibly changing the standards.