Record number of students earn college credit through CLEP

For a young person in their senior year of high school, nothing seems more enticing than the experiences that await them their freshman year of college. Although these youths might not be looking forward to college tests, more and more high school students are testing to earn college credit before they are even accepted in a university.

More than 137,000 students took at least one of the College Board’s College-Level Examination Program tests last year, more commonly known as a CLEP test, representing a 20 percent increase over the year before.

A College-Level Examination test allows its taker to earn undergraduate credits from a university without being forced to repeat the classes once they are enrolled. Most high school students take one or more of the college-level tests shortly after they graduate, but the examinations are available to students of all ages.

On average, a student takes 1.4 of these exams, and can earn from three to 12 credits by earning a qualifying score on the tests.

The 20 percent increase in test takers in 2002 skyrocketed well above the yearly average of a 3 percent annual increase, and this substantial increase could be attributed to a number of factors.

In 2001, The College Board introduced a computer-based version of the exams, offering such benefits as immediate score reports and year-round testing opportunities.

As tight budgets and reduced funding increase tuition at universities across the country, high school students are also eager to earn credit for as many college courses as they can without actually paying the tuition for the classes.

Tuition is also on the rise at many campuses nationwide, including the University of Wisconsin campus.

“Your fee schedule really depends on what kind of a student you are,” said Craig Stevens, a system developer at the University of Wisconsin’s Registrar’s office. “[Tuition] is based on a lot of things like residency and major, so if you are a law or medical student, you’re going to be paying a lot more.”

For the current fall semester, an undergraduate resident student pays $215.35 a credit, while non-resident undergrads pay $798.70. This is a considerable increase from the prior academic spring semester of 2002-2003, when a resident undergrad paid $185.65 and a non-resident undergrad paid $769. A 12- to 18-credit course load is considered a full time student at the UW, and CLEP tests allow students to gain up to twelve credits per test.

“Tight state budgets are forcing colleges to increase tuition and cut back on financial aid,” Kristin A. Carnahan said, Associate Director of Public Affairs at The College Board, the organization that offers the examinations. “We believe students are looking for ways to save both time and money.”

As Carnahan noted, the exams are beneficial to both the student and the university.

“The tests can help colleges and universities manage their enrollment in large introductory classes,” Carnahan said. “[Colleges and universities] can be confident that students who pass a CLEP have mastered the course content and can move on to more advanced courses.”

College-Level Exams are offered in 34 subjects, including English composition and introductory business law. Each exam costs $65, and according to Carnahan, the benefits seem to be well worth it. “The tests let students move on to more specialized courses sooner, making their college experience more rewarding.”