Epilepsy drug used to treat cocaine addiction

by Meredith Dietrich

News Reporter

A drug commonly used for epilepsy patients may now be useful in treating cocaine addiction, according to new study headed by New York University.

Cocaine has been a staple of the underground party circuit since its heyday during the age of Studio 54 in New York City. Coke is also very addictive and problematic worldwide, with millions of addicts suffering every year.

This new drug, called gamma-vinyl GABA, or GVG, was tested in Mexicali, Mexico, on 20 participants who had been using cocaine for an average of 12 years. Although many people dropped out by the end of the study, the eight that stayed for the entire treatment session said they stopped craving cocaine. These participants have stopped using the narcotic for past 75 days. In addition, the participants stopped using the medication at least a month ago.

The study, funded by NYU and the federal government, is similar to other experimental treatments for cocaine, except the prolonged period without cocaine after taking GVG exceeds other treatments before it.

The chemical within the drug blocks the “high” that cocaine gives by raising the concentration of relaxing chemicals in the brain, or GABA. Although the drug shows potential, there is a massive loss of peripheral vision, reported by 40 percent of people who have taken GVG for other infirmities, such as epilepsy.

“The researchers didn’t check for the visual problem, because their study was so brief, but it should be addressed in future research on GVG for cocaine treatment,” said Dr. Jonathan Brodie, a professor of psychiatry at NYU and head of the study.

Cocaine, after taken, immediately elicits a rush of an intense high lasting at most 30 minutes, which tapers off for the next few hours. Chronic users of the drug show depletion of certain chemicals in the brain such as dopamine, serotonin and noreprinephinc. Those who choose to withdraw from cocaine report experiencing severe depression, lack of energy, sleep disorders, muscle aches and tremors, among other symptoms.

In Madison, the most prevalent forms sold on the streets are crack-cocaine because of its addictive powers and easiness to conceal due to its solid form, Madison Police Officer Tom Grosse said.

“You don’t see cocaine in its powder form on the streets as much,” Grosse said.

University of Wisconsin sophomore Elizabeth Kaye is aware of student cocaine use on campus.

“The people I’ve seen doing cocaine here brag about it, as if it’s some trendy novelty item,” Kaye said. “But stripped down, it is a drug that gives people false pep, false confidence, and that isn’t something to go around advertising.”

Though GVG might be a step towards helping cocaine addicts going through withdrawal, the findings are only in the beginning stages right now. And, although the drug may help addicts overcome their cocaine addiction, the cure might come at too high of a cost, as seen in the troubling example of participants who lost their peripheral vision.