Possibility of adding another student Regent

The Wisconsin State Legislature is considering a bill that would add another student member to the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents.

If passed, the proposal would add a non-traditional student of at least 24 years of age to the board, bringing an eighteenth member to the Board.

The proposal has made headway in past months. The Assembly committee expressed its support for another member in its June vote, as did the Senate committee last week.

Student leaders said the addition of another member would put a stronger, more diverse student perspective within board concerns while simultaneously increasing the strength of student representation.

Although he does not oppose the bill, board President Toby E. Marcovich said he does not feel another member is necessary.

All board members are appointed to the Regents with the goal of improving higher education in mind, he said. With 17 current members, Marcovich said he does not see how one more member will increase student support.

“Students have been very well represented,” he said, noting that he is not sure whether this bill is sprouting from dissatisfaction among students.

Like the current student board member, the second student Regent would serve a two-year term.

The state senate and assembly may again take up the issue sometime this week.