Overture Center for the Arts takes its place in the Madison scene

In the cramped quarters of Madison’s central business district, a single new facility encompassing an entire city block will provide a stage for artists and seats for lovers of art.

Scheduled to open in 2004, the Overture’s grand opening is set for Sept. 18-26 with various performances including jazz and classical music and spoken-word artists.

More than 200 Madison arts groups and individuals applied to perform during the opening, although only 60 to 70 spots were available. Artists were chosen not merely on the basis of quality of their work, but were also picked in an attempt to represent different parts of the community, Overture representatives said. Many performances will be free of charge.

Last Wednesday, Overture architect Cesar Pelli unveiled his plans for the reflective glass triangle known as the “icon” that will be the exterior of the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, formerly the Madison Art Center.

The museum, which won’t open until 2006, will nearly double in size to 51,435 square feet and include a lecture hall and a spacious lobby in the “icon” entrance area, dramatic wedge rising above the intersection of State St. and Henry St.

Also, a $3 million rooftop garden and café are scheduled for the museum and fund-raising for the project is underway.

The $100 million used to fund the center comes from native Madisonian W. Jerome Frautschi, who has an aspiration to support the art and culture of Madison.

“The Overture Center will enhance State Street. It will bring more people to downtown Madison,” George Austin, President of the Overture Development Corporation, said.

Because new stages will be added in phases, the new facility will provide a large variety of groups with a place for artistic expression.

With an increase in art galleries, a similarly larger number of local artists will be able to exhibit their work.

The designers have taken considerable precautions to keep the project from dominating the area. With a two-story orientation, some representatives believe the Overture Center will blend right into State Street.

In addition, instead of sending materials to landfills, construction recycled and reused 74 percent of the materials from the original work site during early deconstruction, even before receiving a recycling grant from the Department of Natural Resources.

“We saw it important to use green building techniques,” Austin said.

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz’s office said the mayor is aware of the balancing act necessary in maintaining the quirkiness of State Street while constructing the center.

“We need to make sure that whatever economic development takes place we cannot discount what makes State Street unique,” said the mayor’s spokeswoman, Melanie Conklin. “It is an interesting street and you don’t want to lose that.”

Even though the Overture Center will provide additional opportunities for artists, the city does not want people to forget the variety of entertainment and arts at other local venues.

“This is a wonderful gift but it isn’t the be all and end all for arts. It is one piece in a large scene,” Conklin said.

To find out more about the Center and grand-opening performances, visit the Overture Foundation’s website at www.overturefoundation.org.