UW Madison’s admissions policy to entail standardized writing assessment

In addition to ACT scores, class rankings and personal essays, the University of Wisconsin will require new students to complete a writing exam for consideration by the university.

The admissions procedures will begin in 2006 when all new applicants will be required to submit standardized writing test scores in addition to all other material currently required.

UW is one of a number of institutions planning to include a writing skills component in their entrance criteria. Northwestern University, University of California-Berkeley and Yale University are a few of the universities in the works of implementing the change.

By 2005, high school seniors will have the opportunity to take the mandatory SAT I writing test or its optional counterpart, offered by the ACT.

UW will require one of the writing tests for consideration, and evaluation of the test’s written section will be made by ACT or SAT I trained employees. UW has stated it will regard the written portion’s scores on an equal level with factors such as GPA, class rank and personal statement.

The modification in admissions policies reflects a desire for more educational standards by some university faculty and students.

UW’s Director of Admissions, Rob Seltzer, said he adamantly supports the writing test addition as further aid to analyze student abilities. He said he believes writing skill assessments will provide a better comparison between students and aid in English class placement.

“A student’s ability to write well generally serves as an indicator of effective communication skills,” Seltzer said. “Based on a number of readings and conferences I have attended, there has been a correlation between strongly developed communication skills and numerical thinking to student success in the university academics.”

Although some doubt the relevance of writing for other majors like Engineering and Computer Science, Statistics Department Chair Erik Nordheim said the ability to attain prominence in any area of study always depends on successful communication.

“Whether in articles or scientific proposals, you either learn to express yourself clearly and organize your thoughts well, or you do not get published and receive tenure,” Nordheim added.

Current UW students will not be directly affected by this change, but the writing exam’s effect on their younger siblings has led some students to take a stance on the issue.

Lindsay Seabrook, a UW junior majoring in international business and marketing, said she does not fully support a written essay as admission criterion. She said grading essays, unlike the rest of the standardized sections, can be very subjective.

“If the judgment of essay quality is done by SAT or ACT people, how do we know it specifically fits with UW-Madison’s standards?” Seabrook said. “The personal essay we are required to provide is a better assessment of our writing abilities, because universities should judge us on our writings about our personalities, passions and goals in life, and not on our say on last summer’s novel.”

She also said writing skills are best attained during college, rather than in previous years.

UW junior Andrea Owens, a mechanical engineer major, said good writing skills should be a university’s expectation, because writing skills should have been attained in high school.

“At some point, you will be required to write essays or labs for almost all college classes. Regardless of the class, the better they are written, the better grade you receive,” Owens said.

Mark Markel, medical science chair at UW’s Veterinary School, said even graduate students are concerned about their writing abilities.

“There is a need for enhancing the individual’s writing abilities through screening before college admission, and presenting opportunities for improvement as undergrad students,” Markel said.

He suggested a more departmentalized course instruction, geared toward composing manuscripts and dissertations in all fields of study.