Knowing tenants’ rights can save students headaches and cash

Each fall, thousands of University of Wisconsin students return to Madison and become tenants ripe for exploitation by landlords, due to a lack of information regarding their rights and responsibilities.

During move-in, the most common complaints students have is the condition of their apartment and repairs that need to be made, according to Tenant Resource Center Program Director Megin Hicks.

Hicks said students should give a written list to landlords detailing missing or broken locks, broken screens, smoke detectors that do not work or other repairs. Responses from landlords should be in writing and include a completion date.

For dirty apartments, students should negotiate a deal in writing with their landlord over cleaning responsibilities, according to Ald. Brenda Konkel, District 2.

Konkel said some landlords might send a cleaner over right after tenants contact them, but some tenants have to negotiate with landlords and clean their apartment themselves.

Landlords may offer to deduct from the next month’s rent if the tenants clean, but it is important to decide who will pay for cleaning supplies, Konkel said.

Hicks also said students can avoid being charged for damages when they move out if they turn in a detailed move-in form, which landlords are required to give tenants, and also keep a copy for themselves.

“Make sure you fill in every little thing about the apartment, even if you don’t expect the landlord to change it,” Hicks said.

She said students commonly overlook minor damage that is not a big deal, like chipped or stained countertops, carpet or water stains, nail holes or broken outlets. Without clearly documented repairs, it is much harder to prove they were there before you moved in if your landlord charges you, Hicks said.

“It becomes your word against theirs, and you want more evidence on your side,” Hicks said.

If property owners have not completed repairs, tenants can formally complain by calling City of Madison Building Inspection, who will send an inspector that day to assess the apartment and, if they see a problem, give the landlord a deadline to correct it.

Housing Inspection Supervisor George Hank said during the five weeks after move-in in mid-August, the building inspection unit answers 30-40 calls before complaints drop off. Most complaints are regarding apartments not being cleaned prior to occupancy, Hank said.

About two weeks after move-out in late August, Hicks said students often ask about receiving security deposits from their previous apartment.

Tenants who just moved out of an apartment should expect their security deposits or a list of itemized deductions back within 21 days. Deductions can only be made for non-payment of rent or utilities or damage beyond normal wear and tear.

“The landlord is not supposed to charge for carpet cleaning unless there is unusual damage,” Konkel said.

Konkel said since there is no clear definition of what is normal wear and tear, tenants should schedule a check-out time to walk through the apartment with their landlord to see what needs to be cleaned or fixed.

Also, Konkel said students who paid a full month of rent as their security deposit can expect to receive 5 percent interest after they move out if they paid on time each month. For each month an apartment paid late, tenants can subtract 1/12 of the 5 percent to calculate their interest.

Tenants or landlords with questions can call the Tenant Resource Center at 257-0006. Housing counselors are available Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.