Madison walks to fight cancer

When UW SAFEwalker Nick Passint’s fellow employees told him about Relay for Life, an annual nationwide fundraiser sponsored by the American Cancer Society, he thought it would be a good way to honor the memory of a friend’s father who recently died of lung and brain cancer.

“We have a close-knit group of friends, so we got a team together for her,” Passint said.

Participating in the relay for the second year, Passint’s team, Walker’s Texas Rangers, raised about $2,200 for the all-night event, which took place Friday evening until Saturday morning at The Shell.

Walker’s Texas Rangers joined 33 other teams, numbering between eight and 15 people each, to raise an approximate total of $36,000, according to Relay director Ken Cozzi, who works in income development for the American Cancer Society.

In 2002, Relay for Life events were held in over 3,300 communities across the United States, raising $220 million.

Throughout the night, teams took turns walking or running around the track, with at least one representative on the track at all times. Themed laps like a Bucky lap and a Western lap were held while competitions like an Ultimate Frisbee tournament and a three-on-three basketball tournament entertained students. Music played during the night, including performances by Redefined and Joe Meteorite.

Around the Shell, teams decorated their campsites and juggled, read magazines, ate, relaxed and played Scrabble, Boggle and other board games.

Cozzi said he has raised money for several years for cancer and other diseases, but he became involved in Relay for Life because it is an event for a common cause that involves college students, a demographic that isn’t usually targeted for fundraising.

“Everyone unfortunately is touched by cancer. Even if it’s not in your immediate family, it’s one disease that affects everyone,” Cozzi said.

Paper bags with candles illuminated the perimeter of the track with names written on them in honor of cancer survivors or to remember those who have died.

Cozzi said the money raised is used in four main areas: research, education, advocacy and patient services.

Educational programs are aimed at helping individuals identify warning signs of cancer, while advocacy involves anti-tobacco programs campaigning for smoke-free bars and restaurants, as well as keeping cigarettes off the counters in gas stations.

Patient services includes a program called “Road to Recovery,” which provides patients with transportation, doctors’ appointments or cancer treatments. A program for women called “Look Good, Feel Better,” hires cosmetologists and hair stylists to help patients manage new wigs and pale skin, often the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatments.

Various student groups created teams for Relay for Life, such as the Dietetics and Nutrition club, whose theme was “Food 4 Thought,” referring to the concept of eating five servings of fruits and vegetables a day to prevent cancer.

Phi Beta Lambda, UW’s general business organization, participated for the second year. Sophomore Tara Speck said that while no one in the group participated because they knew someone who had cancer, more organizations should become involved because it is a fun way to work for a good cause.