City Council deems Madison ‘City of Tolerance’

The City Council passed a resolution Tuesday night in place of a retracted resolution that would have made the Dixie Chicks Madison’s official country band.

After throwing out a resolution to give refuge to the Dixie Chicks, who were dropped from airwaves across the country for their antiwar statements, the council passed a substitute resolution aimed at affirming Madison’s commitment to freedom of speech. Sponsor Ald. Ken Golden, District 10, decided to withdraw the original resolution after the item received negative international attention and the council members were flooded with e-mails when he said he meant the resolution as a joke.

The City Council passed the resolution without mentioning the Dixie Chicks or using humor, but it seemed to draw as much controversy among council members as the original resolution.

Ald. Andy Olsen, District 15, said he introduced the substitute resolution, which passed 12-5, because of the need to respect free speech despite the “wave of conformity” that has discouraged Americans from criticizing President Bush and the military during the war with Iraq.

Olsen said radio conglomerates, by owning most radio stations in the United States, can use their “economic might” to penalize people for exercising their freedom of speech by banning songs and entire bands from their playlists.

“Every time a person is effectively silenced in this regard, it incurs a tax on all of us,” Olsen said.

While no one argued the necessity of the First Amendment, which guarantees freedom of speech, several council members said it was inappropriate for the council to weigh in on an issue of national policy.

Ald. Paul Van Rooy, District 18, said it is important to remember that celebrities who speak out on controversial issues often face consequences like public criticism, but that does not mean the right to free speech has been revoked.

“I don’t think this body has to affirm the Constitution of the United States of America,” Van Rooy said.

Ald. Judy Compton, District 16, said she opposed the resolution because there is no reason for the council to recognize individuals for doing nothing other than exercising their right to free speech, saying people died in wars before this one to guarantee this right.

Compton also said the resolution attempts to speak for the entire city of Madison when the 20-member council has not assessed the opinions of its entire constituency.

Ald. Cindi Thomas, District 7, said she considers any document labeling Madison the “City of Tolerance” to be “hollow and meaningless.”

“I think Madison has a long way to go before it can be called the City of Tolerance,” Thomas said. “For example, how tolerant are people in Madison about people who voted for George Bush? What about people who think abortions and homosexuality are wrong? I rarely see people on the City Council standing up for these people’s voices.”

In less controversial business, the council unanimously supported a resolution proclaiming April 9, 2003, a “Day of Silence” where students nationwide will remain silent for an entire day in protest of the harassment and discrimination lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people face in education.

Students in attendance expressed gratitude to the council for advocating LGBT issues.

Jean Wennlund, a junior at West High School, said more than 200 West students will not be speaking in class and will hold up signs explaining their vow.

Director of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network for Wisconsin Jason Rasmussen said he also thanked the council for standing up for all people who are silenced, including those like the Dixie Chicks, who speak out against the government.

“When Clear Channel is organizing rallies and running over albums with steamrollers and when they are an arm of the federal executive branch, then we’re very close to Nazi Germany,” Rasmussen said.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he sponsored the ordinance partly because of the discrimination he faced in high school.

“This day really does make a difference,” Verveer said.

The council also gave final approval to a proposal to demolish the Badger Pantry and build a 12-story apartment building on West Gorham Street. Developers said the new development, The Aberdeen, will be completed by the 2004-’05 school year and will cost around $500 per tenant.