Winchester pleads not guilty

UW senior hockey Captain Brad Winchester pleaded not guilty during a preliminary hearing Tuesday for his arrest Feb. 23. He will face charges of disorderly conduct and battery to a police officer in his pending trial.

He has resumed participation in UW hockey after a weekend suspension from the Michigan Tech series the first weekend in March.

Winchester has said he did not realize he was punching a police officer, and a friend of Winchester’s said his vision was obstructed when he hit the officer. However, Assistant District Attorney Doug McLean said the officer was wearing a police uniform.

If the court rules that Winchester did not know he hit an officer, the charge would be reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor.

The penalty for battery to a police officer is a maximum of $10,000 and 10 years in jail, and the penalty for disorderly conduct is a maximum of $1,000 and imprisonment of up to 90 days, according to Sgt. Ann Lehner.

Winchester’s trial date is not yet determined, and he has been ordered to stay away from the Kollege Klub, where the incident took place.

Lehner said Winchester allegedly punched Madison Police Officer Caleb Bedford several times in the nose at 2:20 a.m., leaving Bedford with a bloody nose, after Bedford physically restrained Winchester. Officers arrived at 2:20 a.m. to 529 N. Lake St. to break up a fight involving between eight and 10 people outside the Kollege Klub.

Coach Mike Eaves said in a press conference the UW Athletic Department remains supportive of Winchester, despite the charges.

“Brad will work through this situation, and our hockey team will support him throughout the process,” Eaves said.

A native of Madison, Winchester was a member of the 2000 U.S. National Junior Team and was chosen as the 35th pick overall by the Edmonton Oilers in the 2000 NHL Draft. Winchester led the Badger hockey team in scoring during his junior year.