Coalition seeks low-income housing

Although a new group of landlords and developers is hedging its money and clout against a housing ordinance that is picking up speed in city government, some committee members say negotiations have continued unaffected.

A new coalition of developers called Smart Growth Madison, which includes Curt Brink of the student-oriented CHT Apartment Rentals, opposes the current inclusionary zoning recommendations the Housing Committee will consider Thursday. The recommendations would offer incentives for developers to include low-income housing in all new developments.

A letter from Terrence Wall of T. Wall Properties soliciting membership from a developer who wished to remain anonymous said all members must contribute $3,000 per year with an initial fee of $1,000 to join.

“The Executive Committee can assure you that the small investment you make in Smart Growth Madison is peanuts compared to the negative financial impact that will result on your properties if some of the legislation proposed … is approved here in Madison,” the letter said.

Some Housing Committee members are not intimidated by the amount of money directed against their efforts.

UW senior and committee member Phil Ejercito said that it is dangerous for landlords to throw their money around, but it does not outweigh the efforts of active people working for low-income housing.

“Several thousand dollars is no match for grass-roots work and a few good ideas,” Ejercito said.

Committee member Ald. Brenda Konkel, District 2, said the group is too new to have much influence over the ordinance.

“It’s frustrating because the committee has been asking for input for so long, and now at the last minute they’re trying to change everything we’ve done for the last year and a half,” Konkel said.

Other committee members disagreed, including Victor Villacrez, who said the group is “vital” to project the interests of landlords.

Delora Newton, executive director of Smart Growth Madison, said the recommendations are flawed because they require developers to incorporate affordable housing under certain conditions, such as city assistance in development. She said so much red tape would end up overriding the landlord’s profits and increase the already hefty financial burden of affordable housing.

“We want more creative incentives for affordable housing,” Newton said, suggesting land for private parks. “If good development can occur in Madison, there would be more options for students living in Madison.”

Smart Growth Madison members pooled their funds to hire Newton to lobby full-time against inclusionary zoning and mandatory Section 8 voucher acceptance, which would prohibit landlords from discriminating against low-income residents with city-subsidized rent.

Konkel said the group would also try to influence the City Council and mayoral election outcomes.

“I’m sure they are going to give a lot of money and attempt to have an impact, but the voters are smarter than that,” Konkel said.

Individuals from the group have contributed over $2,000 to Paul Soglin’s mayoral campaign, but Newton said the organization itself does not funnel money into campaigns.

Soglin has said developers contribute to him simply because he does not support mandatory inclusionary zoning. He also said that inclusionary zoning would only be effective on a county-wide basis.

“I’m not going to change my position just because I’m running for mayor,” Soglin has said previously. “I have always been a strong advocate of tenant rights.”