Winchester’s fate uncertain

Brad Winchester’s future on the University of Wisconsin hockey team is yet to be determined by his coaches and the athletic department staff.

Winchester, senior captain of the UW hockey team, was arrested early Sunday morning for allegedly hitting a police officer who pulled him out of an eight- to 10-person fight outside the Kollege Klub. His initial appearance before the court was held yesterday.

Associate athletic director Steve Malchow said that after coach Mike Eaves, who is currently out of town on a recruiting trip, returns Wednesday the hockey coaching staff will sit down together and determine if Winchester would be penalized.

Assistant coach Troy Ward said in a press conference Monday that he has talked on the phone with Eaves repeatedly about the incident, and decisions will be made as the week progresses. Ward said he did not know yet whether Winchester is to play in this weekend’s games.

“I am just trying to be an open-minded person about the whole thing,” Ward said.

He said UW Athletics disciplinary decisions are left up to each individual team.

“Right now we are investigating and speaking to Brad and the police to get an accurate picture of what happened,” Malchow said.

Ward said the coaching staff remains supportive of Winchester.

“As a staff we are in support of Brad and that situation because of his character and who we believe he is, but at the same time we are open-minded to let us find out more from the police and from their situation and from their accounts,” Ward said.

According to Sgt. Ann Lehner, Winchester allegedly punched Officer Caleb Bedford early Sunday morning after Bedford physically restrained Winchester, leaving him with a bloody nose.

A source close to the Winchester family said Winchester’s vision was obstructed and he did not know the man who approached him was a police officer.

Winchester was the only participant in the fight who was arrested and was charged with battery to a police officer and disorderly conduct. The penalty for battery to a police officer is a maximum of $10,000 and 10 years in jail, and the penalty for disorderly conduct is a maximum of $1,000 and imprisonment of up to 90 days.

A native of Madison, Winchester was a member of the 2000 U.S. National Junior Team and was chosen as the 35th pick overall by the Edmonton Oilers in the 2000 NHL Draft. Winchester led the Badger hockey team in scoring during his junior year.