UW hockey player arrested for battery

Police arrested Brad Winchester, senior captain of the UW hockey team, after he allegedly hit an officer during a fight outside the Kollege Klub early Sunday morning.

At least three officers arrived at 2:20 a.m. to 529 N. Lake St. to break up a fight involving between eight and 10 people, according to Sgt. Ann Lehner. The 21-year-old Winchester allegedly punched Madison Police Officer Caleb Bedford several times in the nose after the officer made physical contact with Winchester in an attempt to break up the fight. Lehner said Bedford was treated at a local hospital for a bloody nose after the incident, and injuries to the student were not specified.

“I have not seen him today, so I don’t know if he has any bruises,” Lehner said.

A source close to the Winchester family said Winchester’s vision was obstructed and he did not know the man who approached him was a police officer.

Winchester, the only fight participant arrested, was charged with battery to a police officer and disorderly conduct. Lehner said the penalty for battery to a police officer is a maximum of $10,000 and 10 years in jail, and the penalty for disorderly conduct is a maximum of $1,000 and imprisonment of up to 90 days.

A native of Madison, Winchester was a member of the 2000 U.S. National Junior Team and was chosen as the 35th pick overall by the Edmonton Oilers in the 2000 NHL Draft. Winchester led the Badger hockey team in scoring during his junior year.