Diversity on campus: Necessary or not?

Questions concerning diversity have risen to the top of many campus agendas due to the recent controversy over the University of Michigan’s admissions policy.

Some ask if diversity on campus is a legitimate concern. “Diversity is a high priority for the campus,” said Sheryl Povier-Mayhew, vice president of marketing and communications for the Wisconsin Alumni Association.

“A lot of kids come here without being exposed to different races, and it’s good to understand different viewpoints,” said James McMurray, a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin. “In discussion sections, diversity is important because then you don’t just get the opinions of the white majority.”

“A diverse community — that is, one that includes all types of diversity — will help students to develop into more socially adjusted people,” said Erin Henry, Prospective Scholars’ Day co-chair.

One program on campus specifically pertains to creating diversity.

The Prospective Scholars’ Program aims to better inform high-achieving students of color about the opportunities and student lifestyle at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and to encourage the pursuit of higher education. The majority of the program is organized by the Wisconsin Alumni Student Board and the Wisconsin Alumni Association, with involvement from the admissions office, UW Housing, student financial services, other academic programs and a variety of other students.

Schools in Chicago and Racine, along with programs in Milwaukee, provide the high school sophomores and juniors that take part the program.

The students are chosen or suggested to attend if they have at least a 2.6 grade-point average and are taking college preparatory courses.

“A program like this is a step towards helping to diversify campus — to just make sure students see the campus and then choose for themselves if they want to apply or not,” Povier-Mayhew said.

“I thought it was very important to state that the high school participants in this program are high-achieving student leaders that make a difference in their high schools and communities,” Henry said. “By all means, we would like them to attend this university, not only to help diversify our student body but also because students with those qualities belong at this university.”

Henry attended Prospective Scholars Day in both her junior and senior years of high school before deciding to attend UW.

“Prospective Scholars Day allowed me to explore the rich resources available to students, especially students of color, at the university,” Henry said.

Could programs like this come under fire like some affirmative-action admissions policies currently are?

“I don’t think so,” Povier-Mayhew said. “All we’re doing is introducing the campus; it’s not really tied to admissions.”

What costs are students willing to pay in order to further diversify their school? “In general, [affirmative action] is a good idea because it’s more important to get a diversified group here even if you have to leave some qualified students from getting in,” McMurray said.