Several downtown bars throw support to Soglin

The up-and-coming mayoral race has prompted local businesses to show support for their candidates of choice. Several downtown bars and taverns have chosen to support Paul Soglin.

Among the downtown bars supporting Soglin are Wando’s, The Nitty Gritty, Bullfeathers, State Street Brats and The Pitcher’s Pub.

Barb Mercer, owner of The Pitcher’s Pub and president of the Tavern League, said she is backing Soglin because he has a good track record when it comes to dealing with local establishments.

“He’s worked in the business world; he understands having a payroll. He understands the issues and the downtown economy,” Mercer said.

Soglin, who was mayor of Madison from 1973-1979 and then again from 1989-1997, is running for his third stint at mayor. He came to Madison as an undergraduate and stayed through law school.

All the while, he was involved with the City Council and other political groups. When he was elected in 1973, at age 27, he was the youngest mayor in the country.

Soglin’s campaign manager, Jane Richardson, said downtown businesses have worked closely with Soglin in the past, and this is why so many bars are supporting him.

Bullfeathers owner Dick Lyshek said in the past Soglin has been sympathetic to bars on smoking issues. Lyshek said that the current mayor does not support downtown businesses.

Another bar owner, Kelly Meurer, who owns State Street Brats, said he supports Soglin because Soglin understands State Street better than other candidates.

“[State Street] is the gem of the city, it shouldn’t be saddled with more laws and rules,” Meurer said.

Richardson affirmed Soglin’s commitment to State Street and the downtown.

“The vitality and health of the city depend on the health and vitality of downtown. Madison would not be such a popular place to live and visit if there were no downtown or State Street,” Richardson said.

One owner, at least, is ready for a change in the way customers are treated in Madison. Mercer said conventions and meetings are discouraged from being held in Madison because of high taxes and an extremely long process involved in gaining permission to hold an event. Mercer said people should instead be welcomed to Madison.

Richardson says Soglin is ready to support downtown Madison.

“He sees State Street as the center piece and heart of Madison. He’s interested in maintaining the vitality of downtown and keeping State Street unique,” Richardson said.