Soon-to-be graduates get a good look at jobs, interviewing

Hundreds of students swarmed Memorial Union’s Great Hall to attend the annual Sciences and Life Sciences Career Fair Monday afternoon. Companies such as Purina Mills, Abbott Laboratories and Tetrionics, Inc., among many others, were present recruiting seniors, masters, and Ph.D. students.

“It’s been busy, or I should at least say steady,” said Jill Singleton, a recruiter for Aerotek. “It’s a great opportunity. They’re getting their résumés out. It’s definitely beneficial to them.

“You can’t wait for the last minute,” Singleton continued. “You have to take advantage of your contacts, and you have to take advantage of your professors’ contacts.”

Among other seminars at the event, a workshop entitled “Interview Bloops, Blunders and Successes” was particularly popular.

The seminar, conducted by Todd Tatlock and Jennifer Lindberg of Qualitemps, focused on the dos and don’ts of interviewing for any job. Preparing for, starting, the process, and the conclusion of an interview were specifically targeted.

The seminar was conducted in a give-and-take style, where students were encouraged to contribute their own ideas. “I’ll throw pretzels and popcorn if I have to,” said Tatlock as he encouraged participation.

Tatlock stressed the importance of research prior to an interview. “Get some background on the person interviewing you,” he said. “You might even find out what the company’s mission is. You could even find someone who worked at the company and is no longer there. Find out why.”

Tatlock also believed practicing for an interview was important. “Practice in front of your friends, maybe even your parents,” he said. “You could even try recording your interview. You don’t realize how many curls you’re putting in your hair. Or that you’re fidgeting with the quarters in your pocket.”

Lindberg also suggested keeping a list of companies you have contacted near your phone with their names and the positions you’ve applied for. “You’re sending out résumés left and right,” she said, “It makes you look so much better if you recognize them when they call. It scores points.”

Tatlock said efficiency, with a dash of thoughtfulness were two good qualities to keep in mind during the interview itself. “I can’t tell you how many applicants want to tell me their life story,” he said. “I shouldn’t say shut up, but be quiet and let the interviewer lead you through the process.

“Also, listen to the questions and think about them before you answer,” he continued. “That’s hard, especially when you’re nervous.”

Tatlock went on to say that the best interviews were ones where the applicant gave examples of work they had done in the past. “I refer to them as storytelling interviews,” he said. “Examples are so powerful. It shows your strengths through what you actually did.”

Lindberg said being able to talk about weaknesses was also important. “Don’t be focusing on your weaknesses,” she said, “But have a few in your back-pocket in case they ask. Focus on the positive aspects of them.”

Simplicity is also important at the end of an interview, the lecturers reiterated. “If you keep piling on a whole bunch of stuff, you’ve created a problem in terms of your ability to get to the point,” said Tatlock.

Senior Nathaniel Jungbluth enjoyed the seminar, saying, “I attended to get the juices flowing. These are things I need to be thinking about.”

“The people that presented it interview a lot of applicants,” Jungbluth added, as he explained the topic’s relevance. “They’re the best people to come and talk.”